1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any secondary teachers with degrees not in maths?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by looby2306, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Guish

Guish New commenter

"High school is a term used in parts of the English speaking world to describe institutions which provide all or part of secondary education. The term is often incorporated into the name of such institutions.
    The term "high school" originated in Scotland with the world's oldest being Edinburgh's Royal High School in 1505.[1][2] The Royal High School was used as a model for the first public high school in the United States, the English High School founded in Boston, Massachusetts in 1821. The precise stage of schooling provided by a high school differs from country to country, and may vary within the same jurisdiction. In all of New Zealand and Malaysia along with parts of Australia, Bangladesh and Canada, high school is synonymous with secondary school, and encompasses the entire secondary stage of education." (Wiki)

2. In England the term "High School" referred to a level that went..
    Primary, Middle, High.
    A number of schools historically were High Schools, just as many were Comprehensive Schools, but both are terms that generally have disappeared from the English school's system. If you work at a High School, is this an actual named high school? The Scottish system does still use the term High School, but the DofE always refers to Secondary Education as do the majority of teachers.
    I thought there were few "High Schools" running the Year 9 to Year 11 (or Year 13) age range left in England.
    Yes, a number of schools are named High Schools in the same way that many are named Colleges. It is a name...
    But, when a poster responds by talking explicitly about High Schools they are either (a) not teachers in England or Wales, or (b) often not teachers.
    Think about it! What does GCSE stand for? Answer...

3. DM

DM New commenter

Powerful evidence brambo. I am obviously confused about where I work.

4. Not being sarcastic.
    It was a simple question. Do you teach at a High School because it is called "A" High School, or because it is a Year 9 to Year 11 (or Year 13) school?
    My point is also simple. The term High School is not in use generally in modern "secondary" education. Even the GCSE refers to "secondary" education.
    Maybe its me (almost certain), but I expected a TES forum on Mathematics to be mostly populated by teachers of maths in the UK...

5. DM

DM New commenter

I teach at a 13-18 High School in England. However many other schools in my area are 11-18 and are called High Schools.

6. you can get on a subject knowledge enhancement course but will require a conditional offer for a PGCE, SCITT, GTP etc look at www.mathstutor.ac.uk for help with A level

7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

My last job was in an 11-16 state comprehensive called a High School.

8. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Hi there, if you take my advice, ex - HOF Mathematics, you will make sure you can teach 'all' of the curriculum area you are involved with, spontaneously!
    Teach yourself the old 'O' - Level Mathematics Syllabus, 1970 period.
    I have just done an analyses of the 1957 'O' - Level paper and the current Higher Tier GCSE.
    You are welcome to a copy should you require one.
    If you can do the questions on the above, it will prepare you for both GCSE Higher Tier, and a good start to AS Mathematics.
    Your Teaching will come much easier if you are well prepared; this in my opinion, is the most important aspect, for effective Teaching and Learning.
    All the best,HH.