1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Scottish teachers retiring in June...?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by craigy77, Feb 22, 2015.

1. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

Was called in by the HT today and asked why I had not submitted a department return on some new tracking and monitoring initiative by the deadline. Can I be honest.... I totally forgot about it! I could see the rage on his face :)

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Tough on him...you gone soon so not a problem.......let him deal with it.

3. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

I will get it done to save my replacement from doing it. I did honestly forget. Have been so busy with things at work with new qualifications, new timetable and getting things in place for next year as well as sitting on an interview panel at a nearby school. I never usually forget these things and I think the HT might think that I was at it!

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

oh you mean all the things that make a difference to the pupils learning? You should know by now only the paperwork matters.

How many days?

5. lizziescat

Soon be a year since I escaped

6. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

15 more teaching days!

7. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

9 more teaching days left. Have already cleared all of my personal things from school, with the exception of my coffee cup! This is very real now and I am a mixture of scared and excited.

8. oldsomeman

Relax, take a deep breathe,stand and admire all you have done and achieved and let our last days flow.The die is cast and you are into a new future......so go and enjoy and as i always think in those words of Sinatra..'I did it my way'.

Ps remember your good lady would have wished you no more than to live and enjoy life...do it!

9. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

Thanks oldsomeman, I am living retirement for myself and my wife and I want to make every moment count. I have a few things planned school wise with the rebuilding of our memorial garden and holidays to visit two of my sons overseas already booked. I want to do some planning this week for the memorial garden but have been asked to sit on an interview panel again which will take up some of my week.

10. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

I am now a retired teacher!

11. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Yay!! It will be great!

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Congratulations! Have a great retirement - even if it takes a little while to get used to it!

13. oldsomeman

Enjoy your life, Now go and enjoy doing all the things you would like to do...and never never look back.....

14. lizziescat

15. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Craig - wishing you a happy retirement! I expect it all seems a bit surreal right now and maybe come August 17th you will feel happy or maybe not, but I bet you anything you like, come the cold, dark winter mornings you will be SO pleased you are a retired mannie! Don't be a stranger - come back from time to time and tell us how you are and what you are doing!

All the best,

Joni x

16. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

I am now officially retired! My former colleagues have started back for in-service. Had a phone call today from my replacement as Head of Department trying to track down the key for a piece of equipment in the metal work room. I will need to drop it off at some point tomorrow. The key has a very sharp edge and ripped my trouser pocket/got stuck in clothing, so I never kept it with my other keys. I might go in early to get it out of the way. Or I might go another nice long walk first and then drop it off in the late afternoon. Tough decisions!

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Morning craig. I'm just looking up the weather forecast for my next holiday. Early September is such a great time for a break [​IMG]

(Get that key out of your house and out of your head)

18. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

Thanks Lindenlea

Weather lovely here today! A nice walk after dropping the key off then the rest of the day in garden. Managed to drop the key into the office at 8.25 without seeing anyone- makes me sound antisocial!

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Not at all, that's what I would have done. You need to concentrate on you moving on.

20. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

Thanks Linden. Heading to Glasgow tomorrow. Lots of free museums that I have not been to in years. I am going to do one thing out of the ordinary every week. Was in Edinburgh last week for the festival.