1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any schools manage their own kitchen?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by bigbev, Nov 9, 2011.

1. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

The reason it is being considered is to save money

2. Yes we are after our LEA decided to go to chilled/reheated meals thus making my kitchen staff redundant. I surveyed parents who voted unanimously for freshly cooked meals and pledged their support. My cook supervisor designs menus, orders food and line manages 3 assistants. Uptake on meals is up by over 20 children since April. Best decision regarding school meals I ever made. Quality and quantity of food is much improved and as we have nearly 40% FSM we are due to make a profit this year which will probably result in school meal prices for the children being reduced. If you have good kitchen staff and office admin you will find it functions with very little input from the Head.

3. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

Thank you so much for your so positive response. I have found out that there is some support from Schools Food Trust and being sent a name for who we need to talk to. Are you a primary school tangled? If you are willing could we get in contact with you directly to pick your brains re this?

4. We manage our own kitchens and have done for a while now. We simply couldn't afford the contract with our pevious company and now we manage to break even running it ourselves. The food is much better, there has been an improved service and our cooks suport aspects of the curriculum so I would definitely recommend it. We do pay a catering management consultant who helps train the kitchen staff, design the menus and ensure compliance with H&S requirements.