1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any returners got jobs?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ultrafin, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Just wondered how many teachers returning to teaching after a career break have managed to secure a job, and how many are still struggling to find work?

I have been out of teaching for 11 years raising a family and working for myself as a PT and coach, and am currently looking for permanent work. It would be nice to know that other returners have managed to secure themselves a job, reassuring for those of use still hunting.

2. Just wondered how many teachers returning to teaching after a career break have managed to secure a job, and how many are still struggling to find work?

I have been out of teaching for 11 years raising a family and working for myself as a PT and coach, and am currently looking for permanent work. It would be nice to know that other returners have managed to secure themselves a job, reassuring for those of use still hunting.

3. I'm still trying - have had very few interviews and have been told straight out today that I'm very expensive for schools.
    Have been trying since last year, when I got an interview and was told they "couldn't afford to train me" and so much had changed in my absence (about 4 years), so left my permanent job in admin to do an RTT course to remedy that.
    However - one of the ladies I did my RTT with has got a 12-month contract in a Y1 class, and she is on the same point on the scale as me, and used to be a deputy head before her break. So that does show that some schools look beyond the money and the time off, and that it's very much a case of "right school, right time."
    I wish you luck!

4. Useful to know LadyV thanks! I guess seeing my supply days as a very very long interview then, is definitely the way to go, you just never know!

5. Kmt41

Kmt41 New commenter

Hi Ultrafin,

I have managed to secure a job for January after a year and a half career break and on UPS3 so it can happen!! I agree with the other poster about 'right time, right school'. I too thought I would never be able to get back in but it has happened and I still can't quite believe it. Don't give up!