1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any resources to help students moving from Foundation to Higher tier?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by twotoed, Jan 4, 2019.

1. twotoed

twotoed New commenter

Hi,

I have several Year 11 students who have moved into my class from a Foundation tier group and will now be sitting the Higher paper this June. I have a lot of experience teaching higher GCSE but not much with Foundation and very little with the new Foundation content.

Does anyone know of any resources available that can help students in this situation?
    For example packs of revision material focusing on the additional higher content with explanations?
    Or does anyone have any advice on what these students should be focusing on? They are eager, hardworking students who were getting grade 5 in Foundation PPEs, so it's about ensuring that they can still get that Grade 5 on the Higher paper in the short term, and more longer term possibly going for Grade 6 or higher.

Thanks

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

twotoed likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

twotoed likes this.
  4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

cherry pick things from higher they won't have seen on foundation, but are accessible - cumulative frequency vectors spring to mind. Consolidate stuff that is on the higher/foundation overlap such as Pythag, trig, percentage etc. However don't ignore the purely F stuff - this will get them a lot of marks - eg don;t focus purely on factorizing quadratics without reminding them how to multiply out a single bracket.

twotoed likes this.
  5. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Is there a good reason for them to change up at this stage? If they need a 6 to do a course at some point there could be an argument in favour of the step up but if they don't then isn't it just risking them gaining a 4