1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any recommendations for class readers for very able Yr 7, 8 and 9 ?

Discussion in 'English' started by songsong, Jun 27, 2012.

1. songsong

songsong New commenter

Looking to order some new texts and particularly texts that will appeal to girls' only classes. TIA

2. cupcake1788

cupcake1788 New commenter

Witch Child by Celia Rees is a good one. I taught the text to a high ability Year 8 group.

3. songsong

songsong New commenter

Thanks. Keep 'em coming.

4. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas has gone down well whenever I've done it. A Kestrel for a Knave makes a good stepping-stone to GCSE for year 9.

5. Oh, you said 'new' and 'girls'. Disregard my second suggestion...

6. songsong

songsong New commenter

Thanks, all. They don't necessarily have to be 'new' texts as in contemporary but ideally quite challenging and appealing to girls. Have realized that most of the texts in the school I'm moving to have male protagonists even though boys and girls are taught separately.

7. Definitely: E L Konigsburg's 'The Outcasts of 19 Schoeler Place' - Year 9 able girls :)

8. Hi,

How about Malorie Blackman's 'Noughts and Crosses'? Has both a male and female protagonist, engages both sexes extremely well - well written, lots of language and techniques to study (esp. effect of multi-split narrative) and loads and loads of social issues to get into too.

If you're looking to really stretch them, I've also taught 'Brave New World' to a high ability y8 class and some of the shorter Dickens novels - all have worked really well.

9. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (plus the sequels)
    just finished Dead End In Norvelt which I thought was brilliant - not a female protagonist but it doesn't matter
    When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit
    A Wrinkle In Time
    The Devil Walks
    Little Women
    Cue For Treason
    I Capture The Castle
    A Parcel of Patterns
    a mixture of time periods and types of storytelling and sorts of narratorial voices there.

10. Also, 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak for Y9. Although we had to allow students to take it home as it is pretty long!

11. bubblegirl83

bubblegirl83 New commenter

'How I live Now' (soon to be a film), 'The Bride's Farewell' and 'There is No Dog' by Meg Rosoff .
    'Tamar' by Mal Peet.
    Would definitely second 'The Book Thief' - amazing book.
    For really able, some classics: Austen and Bronte in particular can work well with top groups of bright girls (and boys).
    All better for Year 9 than younger ones though.

12. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

This year with our top sets:

Y7 - Of Mice and Men (we usually save it for GCSE but their entry profile was off the charts - way higher than previous years, and they really really loved it)

Y8 - Coram Boy by Jamila Gavin (this is my favourite, favourite text to study - awesome passages for language analysis and lots of opportunities for creativity too)

Y9 - Black Boy by Richard Wright (quite mature content, but the students absolutely love it and really enjoy its complexity)

13. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Of mice and men with year 7?! I would not feel comfortable teaching that to 11 and 12 year olds with the subject matter or language used. I'm shocked no parents complained!