1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Recent Feedback? Bangkok Tier 2 School

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Becoming, Oct 22, 2019.

1. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I sent you a PM

2. Saxon08

Saxon08 New commenter

Hi,

Could you send me a PM with some general information too. I have the same concerns after ISR. I will be applying to the secondary and my partner will be primary. What is the school like for families too?

3. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Thanks grd, I've replied!

4. grdwdgrrrl

I've sent you a PM.

5. Saxon08

Saxon08 New commenter

Thanks, sent a message back.

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Possibly off topic as I don't know which school you're talking about but there's one advertising today for quite a few jobs. It's named after a bay area university. I'm not thinking of applying but the ISR reviews are really strange. They are either really, really glowing (especially with regards to the head) or negative. There is also a note above one negative review from the site owners that states that two of the positive reviews were received within 24 hours of one of the negative ones.

Makes you realise there's often no way of knowing for sure until you walk through the door

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Sounds fairly obvious to me. In some ways I'd say that the glowing reviews are the more damaging.

8. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Some complaints on there are ridiculous though. I saw one where the reviewer was annoyed that the Head made him redo all his reports because they had no full stops. Reviewer blamed the system that allowed him to choose prewritten answers... but wouldn't a normal person have added the full stops as they were going along?? Use your common sense!

9. bayern22

bayern22 New commenter

Anyone applied to this school and got shortlisted yet? It says 'may interview candidates prior to the published date' so I was wondering if anyone got an interview invitation yet.

10. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

Not heard anything yet, sent application in a week ago.

11. bayern22

bayern22 New commenter

Sent you a pm.

12. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Decent small community school from what I know, good location, pay is OK, probably about average for BKK.

I'm more worried about these new schools starting in Thailand, the oval ball school near Pattaya, has working hours from 8-6 (Plus some weekends) and the new school opening named after royalty, teaching hours are 7:30- 4pm, plus staying until 6 one night a week for a meeting.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of the future.

13. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

If this is the case, then you have to really wonder if it's worth moving over for a job like that. Several of the Tier 1 Internationals Schools in Thailand, don't expect such long working hours. An occasional Saturday morning or a Governor's Meeting/Invitation once or twice a year after work is reasonable, but not on a regular basis.

Oli_K likes this.
  14. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

Sadly some of the teachers who teach abroad (thankfully a minority from my experience) do feel very entitled and get angry when they are asked to do things properly. Rather then take it, for what it is, they then turn and vent their anger on the internet.

15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

it's all about how many people they can get to do it. If they can find enough people to work 10 hour days plus Saturdays then that's what they'll take. Anyone who won't work this will find it very difficult to find a job. I do think this is the way it's going. Profit schools are private companies and those in charge of huge multinational corporations are looking solely at profit. If they can get more parents signing up because the school can offer out of hours care and free Saturdays then they'll do it

16. grdwdgrrrl

Bay area may mean different things to different people.

17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Wherever you are in the world, if you Google Bay Area, it's the first link. And the second, third, fourth......

Anyway, I'd say if you knew the school you'd automatically get the reference. If not, then the post would be irreverent

18. grdwdgrrrl

San Fran?

jofran and Bill8899 like this.
  19. Becoming

Becoming New commenter

I've not heard anything from them either unfortunately, although they do have a ton of vacancies advertised so not sure how the process of organising interviews etc will work. I don't envy them the logistics of it...

Please do post if you've applied and hear anything back though so I know the cut's been made!

20. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Yeah that's the one. Not sure if you know more being out there but the ISR reviews sound dodgy as hell