1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Recent Feedback? Bangkok Tier 2 School

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Becoming, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Becoming

Becoming New commenter

Hi,

This is about the school on 77.

There are lots of jobs advertised there at the minute (often a bad sign although it could be expansion on the new site), but it gets completely slated in all of the most recent reviews which go up to 2018.

I know there have been a few key changes in management so just wondered if anyone had any more recent knowledge on the working conditions, staff morale and leadership in the secondary section.

Thanks!

2. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

One of the jobs advertised is one that someone I know only started in August. I guess that that tells some sort of story. The word bargepole enters my head every time I drive past this place. About 7 years ago some changes were made from which the place has yet to recover. Diplomatic or what?

3. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

It’s expanding. They’re building a new block and most of those leaving are just moving on. Also, intentions for next year have just been handed in. I’ve sent you a conversation if you’re interested.

4. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

I've sent you a conversation grdwdgrrrl!

5. joono0379

joono0379 New commenter

I’ve just sent you a conversation too! Thanks

6. joono0379

joono0379 New commenter

I’ve just sent you a PM

7. Becoming

Becoming New commenter

Thanks for the feedback. Putting your notice in after 2 months certainly sounds damning... I wondered about how much would have changed when I saw that people were being replaced from within. That often does nothing to change a toxic atmosphere if there is one.

8. grdwdgrrrl

They haven’t been replaced, no one has broken contract two months in. That’s nonsense. It’s just that we’ve had to make our intentions for next year already and they are advertising for new roles and for people who have decided not to renew. The school is growing a lot, we have waitlists of students. I know of only 3 people that are going after completing one contract and the reasons are personal and not about their dislike of the school.

9. grdwdgrrrl

My experience is completely opposite. No place is perfect but the SLT are supportive and responsive. It is sooooo much better than my previous two schools which were run by arrogant, condescending bullies.

10. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Hi grdwdgrrrl, I understand that you have come from a worse place but that does not necessarily make the one that you are at Nirvana or indeed a very good place to work. I have had friends in the very recent past who were bullied and put upon at this place, by a couple who worked there. However, I understand that changes have been made but I am not sure that the atmosphere will just "go away" in a short space of time. One of the ways I rate a school is to see if there is a staff list on the website. Up until a few years ago this school had such a list, it no longer does, perhaps because of fear that prospective staff will contact someone they know there? I don't want to get into a prolonged argument about this, if it has magically turned around in a few months then absolutely great. I wish you all the best.

11. grdwdgrrrl

I’m not sure why you’re so wound up about a place you don’t work at. From inside the atmosphere is positive and I see relatively happy staff and caring admin. There have been a lot of changes and that can be quite stressful and create a lot of pressures for everyone. Catching up with the growth has not been seamless. Neither has it been perfect at other expanding schools like 71. There are improvements planned and in the works and I feel confident that the school will be responsive.
    One of the big positive changes has been in the make up of staff. We’re getting more families.
    Finally, from what I know, the bully has left the secondary building. So, take comfort.
    I have and do, recommend this school as a good place to work.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Plot twist, the bully is....YOU ;)

motorhomer and grdwdgrrrl like this.
  13. grdwdgrrrl

I'd be further up the ladder if that was true.

motorhomer, yasf and T0nyGT like this.
  14. bayern22

bayern22 New commenter

Sent a conversation! Thank you!

15. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I know nothing about this school. No horse in the race.
    Just a thought on public websites and staff lists. With the recent and continuing changes in laws re data protection, some schools are taking down their public staff lists. I predict more will follow.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  16. joono0379

joono0379 New commenter

Does anyone have any feedback about the school on 107 at all?

Thanks!

17. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

@joono0379 Up and coming. IB School. Possibly getting more students owing to the overcrowding at it once illustrious neighbour.

18. grdwdgrrrl

I have noticed that. For example, ISM, ISB (Thailand), NIST.

19. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Is 77 and 107 referring to a road? I have applied to the one on 53 if that is a clue? I'm regretting applying a bit due to ISR reviews!!

20. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Yes, I think I worked out the code! I've applied to the Secondary section, so it's good to know a bully has gone! What about the Head? ISR is less than complmentary.