1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any reassurance or advice please I am completely stressing out.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by unhappylil, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I am sat here in tears which is ridiculous I know. On my way to work I was involved in a minor car collision. I pulled over to swapped details, after swapping details the woman was saying it was my fault, which I am 99.9% sure it was not. I haven't had my car very long at all and it is the most money I have ever spent on anything so I wouldn't dare do anything stupid where I might damage it, I am a very safe driver.
    When I got to work I called the insurance company and reported the accident and explained what had happened, the insurance company said it appeared the other party was liable. When I left work I had a message to say the other person was claiming it was my fault (which I kind of expected as she was saying it after it happened). They have asked me to send a diagram and my account of the accident.
    I just feel really stressed about it and I honestly do not think it was my fault. Never had anything like this happen before so I am not really sure how to react, I think I am still in shock and feel sick.

2. Sounds like a delayed reaction - that's normal after a shock. Have a stiff drink and comfort yourself that it doesn't appear to have been your fault. :)

3. Hot sweet tea for shock not alcohol! Worry not. Accidents happen and the worst that will happen is your insurance premium will be higher next year.

4. Fill in the details and draw the diagram, get someone else to help if you're anything like me and dither over how to get your point across. get it off in the post and then try to put it out of your mind, let the insurance company sort it out. Can you think if there was any CCTV in the area that would have caught it (you mgiht just be that lucky!).
    Please don't panic.

5. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I agree, you will be in shock. Are you hurt? Is someone looking after you?
    I know it's difficult, but could you describe the accident? If you tell us who hit who, which parts of the cars collided etc, we may be able to advise as to whether you are liable or not.
    Most of all, let the insurers deal with the situation and concentrate on looking after yourself. Wherever the fault lies, accidents happen.

6. I am not hurt, but don't feel too clever. Feel rather sick but can't face eating anything. I live about 70 miles from family so I am pretty much on my own (have just called my mom who made me feel a bit better).
    I was waiting to turn right, had to wait a couple of minutes for the traffic to clear as the traffic can come from a few directions, finally the coast was clear in all directions so I turned right and got onto the road carried on up the road a few yards and then all of a sudden crunch across the side of my car. The other driver must have turned left on to the road from the little side road and just not looked properly, there was no where else the car could have come from as far as I can work out. It all happened so quickly though.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Fault doesn't matter much anyway.
    I have driven into a parked car before now. I was annoyed with myself and sorry for the owner but it all got paid for by the insurance. When you make a claim your insurance goes up and it doesn't make much difference if you were blameless of guilty as hell.
    Because the other party is too feckless to accept that they were to blame is not particularly cheering but often a natural response of the guilty. None of us want to see ourselves as foolish and incompetent, some clutch at straws.
    Anyway, it was an accident, accidents happen, no biggy. Pour yourself a Martini and eat an Ibuprofen.

8. Doesn't sound like your fault at all.
    Having an accident is a bit sh1tty, don't panic though, the other driver could be blaming you for lots of reasons. Brush it off and carry on. Chin up & smile xx

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

how the *** can the other drive say your guilty
    they highway code says you need to give way to traffic on the road ahead when turning on to a main road...sounds like wind up merchant
    See if youcan get a friend to go with you to sort out a diagram and take som e photos of the junction.......as others have said it will be paid ,but you wil simply pay more even if it wasnt your fault.
    Accidents happen and they are a shock, but try to get over it and realise the other idiot is the driver alongside you!
    Whatever you do do not enter into communication withthe other driver or into slangging match....unless you think you can hold your own.....as i did to a daft bast**ed who turned into me a few months back .if you can, report the incident to the police to get a crime reference.even though they wont be interested unless someone is hurt........but you can state you think they were driving carelessly,without due care and attention,driving dangerously and probabaly a few more.If the police fuss thell them the insurance company requires it...and send this referecne to the insurance company.

10. I always think it's the noise of an accident that makes it so horrible.

Still..

I'm getting used to it.

11. I definitely can't my hold own (not at the moment anyway), I have quite a mouth on me if someone annoys me. I was shaking when it happened and still am a little bit now.

12. It will take a while to calm down, try not to worry about it too much.
    Just be prepared that the insurance process could go on for a long time and make sure you detail everything from now on. If you are contacted by her insurance company direct it straight to yours without replying.
    It is horrible to be in an accident, now matter how minor. Look after yourself.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

give it ady ot two and you hopefully will feel better.........but going back to the site wil often help i have fond/

14. I'm with olds. It's nasty if it's the first time it's happened, and i don't mean to diminish your stress. But this time next week? You aren't injured, just shocked, especially by the other party's reaction, noone esle was hurt, you were both insured....
    People - you included - are told to never admit responsibity at time in case it affects your claim. Your dim *** of a collider has only done as the terms of her policy dictate. Of course it wasn't your fault. No-one will come after you, except to get a crime report. If they didn;t come and measure tyreprints, speed, braking distance etc at the time it's because it was a waste of time.
    Just forget about it unless stupid *** tries it on. And even then it won;t be her, it'll be her insurance company. Who'll be fighting yours. For a titchy sum.

15. *** = lady dog. Dogette.

16. I am trying my best to forget about it, need to do the diagrams and statement to send to the insurance company whilst it is all still fresh in my mind.
    Thanks everyone :)

17. Hi Everyone,
    I have done all my documents ready to send to the insurance company, hopefully this will be enough to get the matter resolved. I have alot going on at the moment with applying for permanent jobs (have been trying for just under two years) so I could do without the stress of it all.
    If I am honest I am struggling a bit, I am not the best sleeper in the world and since this has happened it is even worse, hardly getting any sleep now and not eating much either :(

18. Try taking some kalms or something similar, it will calm you enough to catch a few ZZZs. From what you tell us, it sounds like the other driver drove onto a road you were already travelling on... can't possibly be your fault.

I had to do a diagram once. A 17 yr old who'd just passed their test aquaplaned into the back of me and one of her passengers tried to make out I'd had a drink (I categorically hadn't). Make sure you mention to insurance company how adamant she was that it was your fault as there are some fraudsters out there who cause accidents and make it look like your fault... the insurance companies are aware of them and they usually get banned from driving.

Most importantly, drink sweet tea not alcohol as you won't sleep well after alcohol.

19. Still doesn't always mean you will be in for an easy ride though. Having someone drive into the back of my car while I was stationary can't possibly be my fault, but 18 months on I am still fighting the case.
    Send the stuff off, try to put it out of your mind until the ball gets rolling. Then once it does be prepared for lots of phone calls and letters. In a case like this the insurance company may try to go for 50/50.

20. How come that case is still going on pinkflipflop? If they drove into you when you were stationary that seems very straight forward to me.