1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any rational explanations?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chocolatechip, Oct 15, 2011.

1. I'm house and dog sitting over the weekend. Last night, just as I was about to go to bed I heard the air freshener which is motion activated going off in the upstairs bathroom.........
    .......I'm still alive. I did keep the light on all night though!

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Bird flew into window, vibrating air inside

3. Spider, fly or cobweb in front of the sensor?
    I had a similar thing at work not too long ago. My building is really old and a teeny bit spooky at night but the alarm kept going off at random points. Turns out that the cleaner hadn't de-cobwebbed and one was sort of floating in front of a sensor. I was completely losing my cool at the thought of the place being haunted[​IMG]

4. Mice?
    It's about this time of night my mouse comes out and starts scuttling about. The first time it freaked me out completely, I'm getting used to seeing it now so it doesn't bother me so much.

5. I was picturing a big hairy burglar. Now I'm going to be dreaming about ghosts, mice, birds and being chased by the zebra of doom....far scarier! At least I'm ok with spiders and cobwebs.

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Zebras of Doom almost never visit the bathroom when on duty

7. Thank goodness. That's one crossed off the paranoia list

8. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

It's strange how alert your senses become, isn't it, when there isn't an obvious rational explanation for something in the night?
    I used to babysit at an isolated farm house with an unpredictable Grandfather clock that struck at odd moments, carpet that rippled in waves across the room on windy nights making the furniture shift slightly, and sudden frantic barking from the farm dogs outside for no apparent reason.
    The kids were no trouble at all, but I always felt I earned my money.

9. Last night one of the bedroom doors was wide open. They had all been left closed. I'm glad I'm going home tonight. I have a plant at home that moves around a bit by itself but I can cope with my own paranormal!

10. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I have a motion sensor air freshener in my bathroom and had to take the batteries out as it was freaking me out. The bathroom is opposite the living room (flat) and I would be sat watching the tv on my own and hear it go off. Nobody else in the flat, no windows open, it would just go off. Really scared me and I still haven't figured it out.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Psychopathic axe murderers maniacally licking the bathroom window can cause vibrations on the inside of the pane which set off air fresheners ;-)

12. The motion sensor ones are preset to go off at certain times if no one has motion sensored it in the meantime. Does that make sense?

13. .....as long as there is a rational explanation I'm fine. Thanks magic surf bus.

14. Yes but is the bedroom door set to self open if no one has opened it during a certain amount of time? :)
    I am now wishing my planning would self plan if not completed by this stage on a Sunday.

15. You never just have one mouse...have you any idea how fast they breed, especially if they think your house is a nice food source!