1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any primary music teachers about?

Discussion in 'Music' started by FCarpenter, Jan 14, 2017.

1. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter

This music forum used to be so lively in the past, with ideas and questions. Are any of the old primary music teacher brigade who used to post frequently still around? I never see any questions on here very often about primary music issues any more. Is it just me?

cadtally, notable and sparklepig2002 like this.
  2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Sadly, traffic on all the subject-based forums has declined hugely since the TES's last makeover. I think the fact that they just dumped a huge archive of posts going back over many years and containing a wealth of information surely made people disinclined to contribute further. Many regular posters disappeared.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  3. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

I agree. The TES forum used to be full of useful information, and help or advice for those who needed it.:(

Lara mfl 05 and sparklepig2002 like this.
  4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I still look in here most days but sadly, there is very little of interest / usefulness anymore.For those of you who don't know there is a very good group on Facebook called Primary school music - I've seen Fran pop up from time to time. ;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    FCarpenter likes this.
  5. sparklepig2002

Sorry -correction-it's called Primary School Music Teachers. Some good ideas and discussions on there. Talking of which-does anyone have a song about Rapunzel? I have to do a half hour lesson with reception. Will have to think of something myself.

6. sparklepig2002

You used to post a lot Florian-I used to enjoy reading your posts.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Dos that Facebook site have about 400 members? There were a few with similar sounding names! When I first started teaching, this forum was very busy too. Having recently ventured into primary, I'm up for a bit more discussion and idea-sharing!

8. sparklepig2002

Yes-407 members.
    I am all for sharing ideas and not having to reinvent the wheel-perhaps we could revive this thread.

9. gekendall

gekendall New commenter

Hi
    I've just taken over as music coordinator in my one form entry primary and need a very basic scheme of work or overview to start things off. We've used music express and chranga in the past but they haven't been very popular. Can anyone help? :)

cadtally and sparklepig2002 like this.
  10. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Did you find a song @sparklepig2002 - probably too late to be of help now. :(
    Out of the Ark have this Song & Story title Rapunzel. There are audio clips further down the page and the lyrics for Rapunzel let your hair down here.

11. sparklepig2002

Thanks Marlin

12. who_am_I

who_am_I New commenter

Dear Primary School Teachers - please help!

I have an interview in which I am to teach a group of Year 3 students. I would like to do the song Kumala Vista - any thoughts? Is it an appropriate standard? If not, any ideas of what might work? Thank you

13. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@who_am_I Do you mean you have to teach a 30-minute Music lesson to a Year 3 class for your interview? Is this an interview for a Music teacher post? Some more details will help us to advise you.

14. who_am_I

who_am_I New commenter

Hi ViolaClef - thank you for your support. As you can imagine I do feel nervous and therefore did mean to write for that I need to teach a 30 min Music lesson to a year 30 class as part of an interview, and yes, it is for a Music post. Therefore was thinking of doing singing or perhaps rhythm but would appreciate any help or advice.

15. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

I'm retired from Secondary music, but continuing with various types of supply teaching. A primary school has asked me to teach music and this is a new challenge for me!! I'm (hopefully) learning fast, but need help with free song resources that work well with Primary 3, 4, 5 and 6.

16. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@who_am_I It's always hard going in to teach a class of unknown children Music. Either you will focus on a musical concept and your activities will build some understanding or competence (you won't get too far in 30 minutes) or you might do a warm up activity and teach a song and then maybe put an ostinato percussion accompaniment in the chorus, using just four children, for example. Whatever song you choose it's important that you know it really, really well and that you've experienced success with it with the age group in question.

17. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@tanbur Sorry it's taken so long to reply to your question. You ask about free songs suitable for Years 3-6. Perhaps think in terms of these categories:
    Folk/Traditional songs e.g. My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, Cockles and Mussels, Scarborough Fair, Skye Boat Song, Danny Boy, Puff the Magic Dragon
    Sea shanties e.g. Drunken Sailor
    Spirituals e.g. O When the Saints
    Songs from films/musicals e.g. Bare Necessities, Consider Yourself, Hushabye Mountain
    Songs from around the world e.g. Yellow Bird, Wimoweh
    Songs from History e.g. Greensleeves
    Rounds e.g. Frere Jacques, London's Burning
    Others e.g. Yellow Submarine, Yesterday, You Raise Me Up
    Citizenship e.g. National Anthem

The examples I've given are of songs where I think you could easily find the words for free and if you haven't got the music yourself already then most of these you could improvise.
    As you find what works in your school with your particular pupils, you can create a songbook with the words of the songs so each child can have a booklet in the Music lesson when you sing.
    Make the print a good size and choose a clear font.
    Remember that not all the children will be fluent readers, so choruses and refrains can help younger or less fluent readers.
    Hope that's a helpful start! All the best!

18. who_am_I

who_am_I New commenter

Hello - does anyone have the sheet music for The School Rules song please?

19. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

Many thanks, I'll try and come back here soon with details of songs that are working!

20. notable

notable New commenter

Yes, I came along hoping to exchange ideas with primary teachers and found a virtual desert! Shame. Oh well. Back to Facebook I suppose. Though I'd rather chat here.