1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any pregnant woman can be too posh to push

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

An elective Caesarean is going to be offered to any pregnant woman who wants one. It seems odd that major surgery should be offered as a matter of course. Surely it will be a more expensive option and carry greater risks than normal delivery. Do you think it's sensible?

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I thought it was any pregnant woman can ask for a selected caesarean but she won't necessarily be given one.

3. The only problem is that the waiting list is 11 months.

4. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

5. Doglover

I had an emergency caesarean and an elective caesarean. I was perfectly happy to have had one.
    The recovery time however is longer, and it must be remembered it is major surgery.
    It carries the risk of infection and not just of the wound etc, but chect infection etc due to reduced mobility. It also carries the risk of deep vein thrombosis, and pulmonary embolism due to reduced mobility.
    It requires a longer stay in hospital and probably more attention from staff in the first 24 hrs following birth.
    Babies can also be at a disadvantage. They can be a little shocked at birth, having not gone through the process of labour and preparation for birth. They can be a little bit more "flat" when born and tend to have a lot of mucus within the respiratory and digestive tract, as it hasn't been "squezzed out" during the birth process.
    In saying that, it was still my chosen method of delivery for my youngest daughter, but I weighed up all the risks with my doctor, looked at the fact that I had been very well unwell in pregnancy, and considered that I already had one failed labour, which was likely to fail again for the very same reasons.

6. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

One of the health trusts near where I live has said the exact opposite - they will NOT offer women elective caesarians in order to save money. They have said they will only offer a section when it is absolutely necessary.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My second baby was a section and while it wasn't the worst thing to happen to me I was very keen not to have another one. But of course, once you've had one your chances of having another are much higher, and the hospital staff all seem absolutely convinced that a normal birth is going to go wrong. I was lucky with my other children to have very understanding consultants who encouraged me to have normal births (which I did) but the midwives seemed to think it was very strange and that both me and my babies were going to die. I had too uneventful, normal births with no complications, nothing. Much, much better than surgery. I can't imagine why anyone would choose a section unless they had a major medical problem. Who wants to spend the first few weeks of their baby's life convalescing if they don't have to?

8. Doglover

I certainly didn't spend the first few weeks convalescing.
    I did find it harder with my first daughter, because I had been through 36 hours of labour, before eventually having the c-section, which left me in a lot of pain. They did take her to the nursery for her first night etc., but I was up and about in 24 hours although in a lot of pain.
    But with my second, being elective, I chose to have her with me all the time, and was up and about the next day caring for her and the pain was much less, I imagine as I hadn't been through labour as well.
    At home with both of them, I don't think I missed out on anything. Because I hadn't had a general anaesthetic my insurance company allowed me to drive, as soon as I was fel able to.
    My sister had an episiotomy which didn't heal very well, and she was certainly in a lot more discomfort than I was.

9. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I too had a CS following labour that failed to progress 7 days after waters broke. After the CS I had 4 days in hospital but I was only released for home after I agreed to have heparin injections. I was given the choice of injecting them myself, hav my husband do them or let the nurse from surgery do them. After CS I also lost feeling in my right leg, which used to drag a little as I was walking. I am not sure if this was due to surgery or the prolonged labour before the CS.
    My son was not particulary responsive ( ie awake) for 3 days afterwards and he still has breathing problems 2yrs afterwards for which he is in hospital at least once every 6wks.
    I personally think that I was left too long before I had an emergency CS because the hospital were trying to reduce the CS rates. I knew after 3 days that I wasn't going to get him out- he was a huge baby and when they measured his head after CS it was on the 98th line on the red book.
    BPG

10. slingshotsally

Sorry about the long post.
    I think what I was attempting to say was- I think some women may ask for CS but they won't neccesarily (SP) get one.
    I asked very politely for the CS after 4 days but was still refused until the Midwives had decided that I has been in labour long enough.
    BPG

11. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I don't have any children yet but I was discussing labour with my boyfriend (on the off chance that we do happen to become parents some day). He's very "anti-doctor" and says he would be very against me having a C-section. Excuse me, Sonny Jim, but it ain't you that's got to go through it all. I'll go with what the guy who spent 6 years training says, thank you.
    I have a lot of friends who have had sections. One after three days in a labour that clearly wasn't going to progress, at least three where the baby was distressed and one planned as the baby was double breech. One friend is currently pregnant and has been offered a C-section if she wants one, due to health problems.
    It does surprise me that women are allowed to be in labour for so long (esp you, BPG), especially when it's obvious that things aren't moving along as they should. Shouldn't there be national guidelines for this sort of thing?

12. slingshotsally

There are guidelines- usually they are supposed to do something 3 days after waters break. However they were monitoring the baby and he wasn't in distress so they just let me keep trying to push.
    I tried everything in my power to get him out- walking up and down stairs etc. Eventually I was exhausted and got an epidural. Total waste of time.
    The decision to do CS was based only on baby's needs- ie was baby showing signs of distress. They monitored him 3days in via a belt 24hrs a day. They monitored my temperature (for infection after waters breaking) every 30mins.
    The CS was done on clinical need based on baby condition and my temp- guidelines are just guidelines, the CS decision was consultant's decision. Hard to believe but that's what happened to me.
    BPG

13. I had an emergency c-section after 36 hours labour, and haemorrhaged so badly I needed a full transfusion. Not a brilliant experience, and I wish I'd been able to squeeze her out myself as the recovery would've been much quicker and the complications would've been zero.
    Saying that, I'm now a bit terrified at the thought of another marathon labour and if offered an elective, I might say yes...

14. Doglover

I thought you weren't going to have any more, CK? ;)

15. I have my dewy-eyed moments doglover. :)

16. absolutely
    i had vbac after first labour had been an emergency caesarian - i ended up with a third degree tear. even the consultant who delivered master p offered his apologies and commiserations. and it ain't finished with yet - i have a lovely set of complications to look forward to as i age

17. Sorry, didn't mean to alarm... I did indeed have a nasty, brutish [yet] short labour with Son1 (posterior presentation) and lived in fear of 13 stitches ripping open with barely two years later Son2 (1 hr is short, yes?). But they didn't, breastfeeding was fine if you must, and even at 54 can not actually get a no 18 bus up me fanny. Though might think twice about running for one.
    Just don't get carried away with the "YOU SHOULD WANT THIS" *****, that changes really often.

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I had a super-easy delivery of my 10 day overdue, 8lbs 15oz son and wondered what everyone made such a fuss about. I had problems (haemorrhaging badly 2 weeks later) and needed a D&C.
    I then had a baby at 24 weeks gestation. They ignored my pleas to do a caesarian- I delivered my daughter stillborn and finally went to the operating theatre to have the undelivered afterbirth removed. The had to scrape it out in bits and couldn't be sure they'd got it all so gave me anti-fungal tablets and antibiotics.
    My third experience was at a different hospital and I was treated with kid gloves as soon as things started to go wrong. My daughter was delivered by emergency CS at 27 weeks gestation,after being seconds away from losing an arm in a 'normal' delivery. They thought she was a footling breech and were about to pull her leg to facilitate the birth (her heart rate was dropping alarmingly) when the registrar realised he was holding her hand, not her foot. She was in bottom first position with one arm in the birth canal. I was rushed to theatre with numerous professionals fitting a lead Earth mat to my thigh, oxygen mask being fitted etc as we raced down the corridor.
    The CS saved both our lives. I was found to have the placentas from all three pregnancies growing through my womb wall (placenta accreta). It's very rare and the prognosis, as stated in medical books, is FATAL. The partial placentas from the previous 2 pregnancies were in a pre-cancerous state. I had an immediate hysterectomy after my baby was delivered, followed by 19 units of blood and my husband was told to prepare for the worst. That was in 1983.

19. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

!!!!!! Katy - you poor thing !!!!!!!!!!

20. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

The only reason I don't want baby number 3 is that I can't guarantee a CS. Both my births were horrific and I was denied an epidural both times too (and I'm certain this is because of cost-cutting). I could never go through the agony and trauma again...