1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any predictions for AQA power and Conflict poetry question and AIC?

Discussion in 'English' started by thistooshallpass, May 20, 2019.

1. thistooshallpass

thistooshallpass New commenter

I predict Tissue or Poppies, what do others think? I am also interested to know what predictions people are making for An Inspector Calls questions. All thoughts welcomed!

2. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

We've stopped trying to predict the poem. We have a random sweepstake draw instead. Everyone puts in £1, draws a poem, winner takes all!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Please Gawd let it not be Tissue. Had AQA any sense, they would set one of these poems:

• London (compares really well with Remains, Ozymandias Prelude or War Photographer) Londn is very zeitgeisty and relevant to the sprawling mess of modern London and the mind forged manacles of Westminster!
    • Kamikaze would work well as an exam poem and compares nicely with most of the war poems, such as War Photographer, Remains or Bayonet Charge. Also goes well with Tennyson’s Charge of the Light Brigade and, for the nature thread, the Prelude extract, so it covers a lot.
    I think they will do an older poem this cycle, either London or Prelude. If they go all modern, probs Remains as Armitage is our new PL. Checkin Outbme History would be a nice choice, but maybe a bit long for the exam focus poem? Easier ways to differentuate in more comparable and compact set poems.

For Inspector, Mr Birlingo rmaybe his missus (or both together) and for themes, I bet they rejig the ‘responsibilty’ task as ‘duty’ or ‘morality’, which would be cool as the top kids could then bang kn about the morality play influences. They might alternatively choose to do a structural stgecraft one, like, how far do you agree that ‘An Inspector Calls’ is what critics have called ‘a well-made play’?

I reckon:
    London/Remains
    Birling massive/ morality/ play structuring

4. Mrsmumbles

London! London!

5. Mrsmumbles

Anyone know what it was? Dying of excitement over here!

6. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

AIC was Sheila. Don't know the poem

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. morrisa76

morrisa76 New commenter

It was 'War Photographer'. Didn't like the 'unseen' section.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Thanks guys. i had revised War photographer and it made sense as Super Duffy has just stepped down as laureate. Wasn't there a society question for AIC?

9. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I only know it was about Sheila

10. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

I think it was Sheila and 'selfishness' for AIC (AQA).

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Thanks. I thought AQa might have a variation on that 'responsibility' option the other year: I am relieved this came up! Has Birling ever come up yet? Hmmm...