1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Oxfordshire year 1 teachers?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by comenius, May 23, 2011.

1. comenius

comenius New commenter

I've been reading Julie Fisher's book 'Moving on to Key Stage 1' and feel very inspired! However I have no idea how to get started and have a million and one questions about planning a play based curriculum.
    Are there any teachers out there who took part in the transition project with her and who wouldn't mind me picking their brains? Thanks!

2. comenius

comenius New commenter

I've been reading Julie Fisher's book 'Moving on to Key Stage 1' and feel very inspired! However I have no idea how to get started and have a million and one questions about planning a play based curriculum.
    Are there any teachers out there who took part in the transition project with her and who wouldn't mind me picking their brains? Thanks!

3. I am in Y1 and run free flow indoor and outdoor classroom. We've got KS1 Constant Provision sheets all around our 'zones' and Ofsted loved it - we got highlighted as outstanding along with our Reception class.
    Let me know if you have specific questions. It's amazing to see the children run with work and ideas when they are able to tailor their learning.
    I use 'enhancement' sheets to accompany my planning too - a great way to tailor the learning to each individual.
    Let me know if you want indoor or outdoor zone info. to help you plan. I've had lots of people come and observe me, and I think that's probably your best bet if you can find someone near you. But I've also emailed lots of photos to people on here and via our EY advisors. :0)

4. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

Hi
    I would be really interrested if you could send me some info an photos, sounds fantastic!

5. sure...what's your email address...? :0)

6. Sure...what's your email address? :0)

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

Thank you so much.
    I currently have all the areas set up eg construction, workshop, small world etc and we have just recieved a lottery grant to develop a space outdoors. At the moment I have literacy and numeracy blocked and topic work in the afternoon. 3 groups work at a time (2 with adult and 1 independent) whilst others have free choice in the areas (but not outside at the moment). However they don't really get any quality length of time to develop their play.
    OK - here goes!!!
    I guess my main question is how do you balance adult directed, adult initiated and child initiated throughout the day? At the moment I am very top heavy on adult directed and want to come away from this.
    Do you have one adult doing the adult directed whilst the other does observations?
    Are your adult directed more maths and english based than topic? What's the ratio? How many adult directed sessions does each child have a week?
    Do you set up adult initiated for the whole class or do you direct certain children there? Is adult directed just linked to maths and english learning?
    How do you make sure maths and english skills are being covered if only one group is working at a time?
    Do you teach through a topic or take it all from the children's interests?
    How do you make sure you're covering the NC, especially later in the year when the majority will have completed the EYFS profile and started NC.
    Do you do literacy and numeracy strategies - I'm aiming not to! I'm hoping not to have a timetabled literacy slot and numeracy slot.
    Do you do any whole class input?
    How do you plan? Do plan retrospectively?
    I would be so grateful for anything you could send me - planning, photos, enhancement sheets, observation sheets, constant provision sheets, organisation of a 'typical day'.........
    I have sent you a message with my e-mail address.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this :0)

8. I will be teaching FS and Y1 and 2 in September. I would be really interested to see what you do. I am trying to get my head round it at the moment.
    My email address is bb75skye@yahoo.co.uk.
    Thank you for sharing

9. Sorry to jump on this thread but this way of working in KS1 is exactly what I have been looking to create.
    Have read so many threads on play in year one, invested in books and looked at school websites but your way sounds really inspiring and something I would like more information on.
    If their is any way you could maybe email some photos, examples of your plans or timetable I would be eternally grateful. Don't want to start off a whole thread of requests but I have been looking for information like this since Sept so would really appeciate some info.
    Thanks
    www (bec_140@hotmail.com)

10. comenius

comenius New commenter

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - it sounds fantastic! I wish I loved close enough to come and visit!! I'm off to check my e-mail now! Thanks again.

11. comenius

comenius New commenter

Can I just ask how many adults you have with you and how many children?
    Does one adult go outside and one inside?

12. I am going to email a plan example, a constant provision sheet example and an enhancement sheet template tomorrow from my work laptop....pics too....I'll include you bec_140

13. We have 60 children in 2 classes and 4 adults (a teacher and TA in each room) We let 9 (from each class) outside each during each session and have 1 adult outside at all times.

14. comenius

comenius New commenter

Thanks again!! Just one more question......
    You said that you write 'next steps' on the children's written work - when do you go through these with the children as not all would be able to read them independently?

15. When the children collect their work they know to read the feedback and check in with us...we keep the labels for next time we take their work home so we know what their area to focus on was.
    If they can't read it we ask them to find a reading helper. We try not to encourage 'if you can't read it go and ask the teacher'....it works really well.
    We do try yo make the comments nice and straightforward though, and if we can think of phonics/high frequency word friendly choices we do.

16. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

17. I work in a year 1 class and am very interested in the way you work. I would love more information so that I could change my current practice. I would like to know what planning you do, how you assess and document learning, what directed tasks are in each area. Everything about how it works really. It sounds so good but complicated.
    My email is sunnyyellow@hotmail.co.uk

18. Hiya would you be able to leave some planning/photos in the resource bank? Then lots of people can have access without you having to spend your bank holiday emailing.
    Thanks for your great advice :)

19. Hi! I am also about to start in Year 1 in Sep and have just read about how you structure everything - it sounds great! Can I give you my email address also to get a copy of your CP sheet, enhancement sheet etc as I would really like to work in this way when I start? Very helpful to have read this, thanks,
    katemaud2002@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Kate