1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any OTT from India or Pak?Any ICT teacher working here via OTTP programe???

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by bilal_hru01, Dec 11, 2011.

1. I would like to know if there is any OTT from india or Pak with IT background? who came here and is working here as secondary School Teacher. I m living in NE England and I m gonna apply for ICT Teacher job here. Pls someone share some experience. How to find ICT Teacher job in here without having any QTS. that afterward help me joining OTT programe. Will any School consider me as an candidate for ICT teacher job as an Unqualified Teacher.?? Do the Schools offer jobs for candidates like me? my email is bilal_hru01@hotmail.com.

2. I would like to know if there is any OTT from india or Pak with IT background? who came here and is working here as secondary School Teacher. I m living in NE England and I m gonna apply for ICT Teacher job here. Pls someone share some experience. How to find ICT Teacher job in here without having any QTS. that afterward help me joining OTT programe. Will any School consider me as an candidate for ICT teacher job as an Unqualified Teacher.?? Do the Schools offer jobs for candidates like me? my email is bilal_hru01@hotmail.com.

3. Before applying for jobs you will need to apply to NARIC to get your qualifications assessed and "translated" into UK equivalents. This documentation will be required by any potential employer before a job offer is made.

Your post was not clear as to whether you are an IT professional who would like to become a teacher, or if you qualified as a teacher in India and would now like to teach in the UK.
    If you are an IT professional who has not worked as a qualified teacher abroad, you would not be eligible for the OTT programme. You would need to qualify as a teacher in the UK by either the GTP or PGCE route.

If you have worked as a qualified teacher in India (or elsewhere) you can apply for teaching vacancies and could be placed on the "instructor" or "unqualified" grade. The school may then be prepared to support you to gain QTS through the OTT programme.

The bad news for you is that schools are not allowed to hire instructors or unqualified teachers when qualified teachers are available to take the job. Therefore, you are only likely to get hired if no qualified teacher applies for the position. Since you are in an area of the UK with a surplus not a shortage of teachers this does not bode well for your chances. You might get lucky and a school may decide to ignore the rules if they like you because you will be paid a significantly lower salary. However, in this case they may be reluctant to support you through the OTT programme since this will then make you expensive once you have QTS.

Talk to agencies, they may be aware of vacancies where a school is finding it difficult to recruit a suitable teacher. Working as a supply teacher can get your face known in schools, as well as providing you with up to date knowledge of the UK system, which employers will expect when you apply for jobs. Set up a job alert on this website and check your local council websites regularly for potential positions.

Good luck, it is a tough market out there but some people do succeed, and it could be you.

4. Thanks a lot for taking time out of ur precious time.

I was supposed to be an IT Teacher teaching Computer Sc with 2.6 yrs of Experience. As u said North East area is already filled up. Should i try to relocate and search for jobs in & around London area? Would that just be fine. But i think they will still consider me as Unqualified. Any idea handling this cause i wud like to have QTS as early as possible.

Should i try to get job as unqualified? but still then i have to have QTS. Would any part time QTS programme from Open university be fine in this regard. Or pls suggest any alternative if u can. U know full time QTS is not possible at this stage.One has to do PGCE of 1 year full time or two years part time to get QTS. As it demands full time and no wages etc n at the same time expensive as well. Correct me if i m wrong.

I've head that those teachers who work as Supply teachers are not eligible for OTTP route. Hence they wud not get any QTS through this route. Could you suggest the area/city having shortage for ICT Teachers.?? Where one can try his luck out.

And probably you wud be right that A school wud be reluctant to help u via OTT programme as They have to pay u Expensive salary afterwards. How can we tackle this issue(schools being reluctant to help unqualified teacher for OTTP)? At what areas might i get lucky to find this sort of ICT Teacher job?

5. Thanks a lot for taking time out of ur precious time.

I was supposed to be an IT Teacher teaching Computer Sc with 2.6 yrs of Experience. As u said North East area is already filled up. Should i try to relocate and search for jobs in & around London area? Would that just be fine. But i think they will still consider me as Unqualified. Any idea handling this cause i wud like to have QTS as early as possible.

Should i try to get job as unqualified? but still then i have to have QTS. Would any part time QTS programme from Open university be fine in this regard. Or pls suggest any alternative if u can. U know full time QTS is not possible at this stage.One has to do PGCE of 1 year full time or two years part time to get QTS. As it demands full time and no wages etc n at the same time expensive as well. Correct me if i m wrong.

I've head that those teachers who work as Supply teachers are not eligible for OTTP route. Hence they wud not get any QTS through this route. Could you suggest the area/city having shortage for ICT Teachers.?? Where one can try his luck out.

And probably you wud be right that A school wud be reluctant to help u via OTT programme as They have to pay u Expensive salary afterwards. How can we tackle this issue(schools being reluctant to help unqualified teacher for OTTP)? At what areas might i get lucky to find this sort of ICT Teacher job?

6. Thank you for for ur valuable suggestions.

Lets hope and see. What do you do? Take Care

7. Hi jim and others, Is there any PART TIME option that wud be worthy while still working Part time job/supply work at the same time.
    What about 2 year Part Time course. How much will that cost?
    Pls suggest any other Part time course from any University for PGCE that is cheaper? You know without job means NOthing in this world. Also whn u have partner.. TC

8. Hi
    I have already contacted NARIC my qualification is equal to graduate(ordinary). I have also got trained as a teacher in Pakistan.I have taught there for more than fifteen years in government primary schools, but my grades in Mathematics and English are low than the required here. So please tell me if there is any way for me to teach in a primary school here in the UK(London).
    Thanks you

9. Hi
    I have already contacted NARIC my qualification is equal to graduate(ordinary). I have also got trained as a teacher in Pakistan.I have taught there for more than fifteen years in government primary schools, but my grades in Mathematics and English are low than the required here. So please tell me if there is any way for me to teach in a primary school here in the UK(London).
    Thanks you
    Midrar ul Haq

10. If NARIC has said that your qualifications are not equivalent to those required of UK teachers then you are not able to teach in the UK at present.
    The solution is to gain the required UK qualifications. Talk to your local FE college about this; they will be able to advise on the cost and time scale required to achieve your goal.