1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any other teachers wearing hearing aids?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WB, Jan 19, 2020.

1. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Hi

I'm going a bit deaf and will be given NHS hearing aids soon.
    I'm a bit worried about my future in teaching.

Are there any other teachers here that wear haring aids?

I'd been keen to hear from you.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Mrs MSB had them prescribed after undergoing a hearing check at Boots, and she works in various forms of adult training including on courses and in schools, for example INSET days. She also works with kids in the classroom as a visitor, but less frequently than with adults.

Basically she opted for the best possible specification on offer, which are highly programmable to different situations and are frighteningly technological. She even hears phone notifications on them. They're very unobtrusive, and they do the job, so she can keep doing her job. The only thing is she likes to take them out when she gets home so I rarely get the benefit of them. I'll cope. :)

If you go through Boots or similar you are effectively going private, but they offer higher spec products than NHS, albeit it at a cost. We decided not to b*gger around where one of the five key senses is concerned. Consider the potential loss of income versus the outlay if the lower spec NHS items don't perform. Maybe worth trying a Boots hearing test and comparing what's on offer?

emerald52 and WB like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You'll have to speak up.

emerald52 and WB like this.
  4. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Thanks for the reply Magic.

I'll see what Boots has to offer.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I've worked with several staff with hearing impairments. It depends on the severity, if you can hear ok with hearing aids, its isn't a problem, obviously

WB likes this.
  6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

There was one poster on here who was profoundly deaf and he worked in education quite successfully. He wore a hearing aid in both ears all the time in class.
    Tt won't be a problem if you didn't make a fuss, I used to wear hearing aids for deafness brought on by working in loud environments, but they worked fine in the class were the quiet voices of children were hard to hear. I haven't worn them for a while but I do realise I need to as my hearing is definitely deteriorating.

WB likes this.
  7. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Mrs 50sman I’d now a TA but was a reacher - she wears hearing aids but she has reverse slope hearing so they are pretty useless. The teacher she works with would have normal hearing but he too wears hearing aids!

WB likes this.
  8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I wore private aids ( otosclerosis ) from the age of 35 until I finished full time work ( 2011 ) part time (2017) . I found the NHS aids I was prescribed 27 years ago v difficult to use ( not sophisticated enough and amplified everything ! ) and I was young and vain ( they were so big ! ) so abandoned them from the start- :rolleyes: ha ! I went to and purchased from a range of providers but my most recent one Spec savers has been superb - the local branch is excellent BUT I know this may be down to luck?

I began with inner ear aids but my hearing deteriorated and had to replace them with behind the ear types... still small and unobtrusive but I thought it was the end of the world at the time ..:eek:.. My private aids are now in a box (needed one to be reconditioned this summer @ £150 - but returned as new so worth it ) ..... so reverted to my NHS one 'to get me by ' ? Story short I was so impressed with its clarity and the power that I have decided to wear it all the time - it has been a revelation. :). Truly. Yes it is big and ugly :confused:but I am sooo grateful that it works so well - I should wear two but just manage very well with the one. I have virtually no hearing in my right ear so wearing an aid in this one does not make sense ( to me ) but I doubt my audiologist would agree ! :D. ( I do take advantage if I am going to the cinema / theatre as I often rely on subtitles ) . My Specsavers aids will be 8 years old in April and yes not as state as the art / powerful as they were but great value for money considering and a' back up ' if required . I doubt that I shall ever go down the private road again so saved myself in excess of £ 2000 .... when I was working it was worth the outlay so I could earn very decent bucks and have a career. Hope this helps

install and WB like this.
  9. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

I wear 2 hearing aids as I couldn't hear the pupils' individual answers when they were sat at the back of the room. I'm in my 4th year of having them. They are NHS it took a good few months of going back to the audiology department before they became comfortable, its a bit like a pair of shoes they can custom them to the way your eardrum is.
    Do not accept they have to be uncomfortable or they have to have a whining sound-emitting.
    Make sure you clean them every night and wear them, they don't work if you wear them for short periods.
    I am older ( could be but am not a granny) so, but no one notices because I have my short hair over the hearing aid.
    I teach secondary and some of my pupils know I wear hearing aids when I start moaning that I need to change the batteries.
    I've not had anyone say anything derogatory I make jokes sometimes about having special powers...

install and WB like this.
  10. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Thank you for all.of your replies!

11. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@WB I don't have a clue but good luck with using them. I hope it makes a magnificent improvement to your qualityof life and I agree in forking out for the best specifications available.

WB likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The first five words of the above post are very true.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If you get hearing aids and are not yet used to them, make sure that when you're in meetings you get a front seat, because unless you get a visual on the person leading the meeting it can be really confusing and disorientating to hear people shuffling or coughing behind you. Even somebody next to you turning a page can seem as loud as the person at the front speaking,and therefore distracting.
    New hearing aids can mean you need quite a long time to discriminate aurally in terms of distance and source of sound, but if you can lip read during this process of adjustment it's really useful.
    You get used to it, but as someone already said, you need to wear them in, acclimatise, relearn how to hear.

oldsomeman and WB like this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've found in recent years, that although my hearing is fine when there isn't any background noise, but I am starting to struggle to hear what people say clearly when there is.

I have to confess that I'm not up to speed on the latest advances in hearing aid design, but I know there's little point in just amplifying sound to assist my condition. I'm not deaf. A hearing aid that would be of benefit to me is one that was able to filter out the noise of the TV, the windscreen demister when it's going full blast, or the racket the vacuum cleaner makes when my sweetheart says something she hopes I will take in.

I know they can work wonders with the digital remastering of old records to filter out the scratches, pops and hisses that are part of the enjoyment that vinyl record affictionados love, but I have no idea whether a hearing aid is able to filter out all the racket going on in the background when one's wife has something say that she wishes her husband to hear.

It would seem more logical to me to have a conversation after the vacuum cleaning is over or the TV has been turned off, but maybe I'm living in a fantasy world if I imagine this to be possible.

WB likes this.
  15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

We've got this really hi tech vacuum cleaner which you can judiciously adjust to suit your hearing with something called an "off Switch".
    Watch out, though, as you do actually have to approach the vacuum cleaner in order to use this switch.
    Let us know how you get on!

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm tempted to get one of those Alexa things and ask it to turn the electricty off at the fuse box, but I have no idea whether they are able to hear what's being said over the racket. If they can discern a conversation, I suppose I could ask Alexa "What did she just say?" without having the conversation about "Why did you turn the power off?"

17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Depending on the area you live in, NHS services are terrible-a young relative of mine was give ones that didn't help. The NHS 'care' team weer appalling. The parents saw a private doctor, who recommended some that actually work for him-the NHS refused to eve bother getting them for him, though his GP/the CCG said they would have authorised them if the consultant had bothered to write. They lied about so may things, and generlly turned a family who had been very pro NHS, who thought all those things you read about Aysha King and others who had been let down were tragic one-offs, into understanding that we are very complacent, thinking everything is wonderful because we'd never experienced the other side.
    If the NHS type help you, great. If not, google Lyric-these are probably great for a hard-working teacher, and you can shower in them, and generally get on with life more easily.
    Let me know how you get on and if you'd like any more advice, if what I say is helpful at all.
    Also maybe ask your union for advice-hopefully you have a supportive school, but some job adjustments regarding rooms, classes, and breaks might help-hearing impaired people might well need more breaks, and less extra work, as along with many people who have a disability, you can get tired very easily. There's useful websites to show people who are not deaf just how tiring/difficult it can be. Perhaps suggest your head runs a Deaf Awareness course-many businesses do this to show staff how they should support HI colleagues, and doubtless it would help NHI teachers consider the needs of their deaf students too.

WB likes this.
  18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

There are now many different types which ca be beneficial if different circumstances-maybe book an appointment to go over the modern types? Just as smartphones now are totally different from the mobiles of 2005, hearing aid tech has moved on too.

WB likes this.
  19. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Really? Everyone I have heard from at the Deaf Society says how much more tiring being hearing impaired makes you, ad some employers still do not run Deaf Awareness courses for their employees, so staff with hearing impairments are not helped. Some are better, and encourage a 'People with disability are not the problem, people who are ignorant are' approach. Having hearing aids (again, according to the Deaf Society, I am not presuming to speak for other people, but just explaining what experts have told me) does not give you 'normal' hearing, or make life just as easy as it is if you have no hearing issues. Many HI people also have tinnitus, which can destroy their quality of life, making them suffer permanently. Some are suicidal-if this applies to anyone on here, please speak to an audiologist, as some people ca be helped by using Lyric etc, but that does not apply to everyone.

WB likes this.
  20. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

where I live the NHS audiology department is excellent. DO NOT SPEND money on a private hearing aid unless you find the NHS is not working for you.
    My area has a walk-in service no appointments necessary for any problems but I know that is not the case in all areas.

Good luck and remember price does not necessarily mean better, the only price I pay is time.

WB likes this.