1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any other over 65s?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by tall tales, Sep 27, 2018.

1. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Finding it really hard to call it a day on a job I love doing. I think it’s time, but it’s so much a part of who I am; what I’m good at and what I enjoy.
    Anyone else in the same boat?

install likes this.
  2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I'm in my 70s and I still do voluntary work maintaining computer records in the special needs department in the secondary school where I worked until I retired from full-time teaching at the age of 61. After I "retired" I did some 1:1 tuition within the school, but I soon stopped doing so when squaring teaching income with the Teachers' Pension authorities just proved too much of a pain.

As a singleton, I value the social benefits working voluntarily with teaching colleagues can bring. I never wanted to be the retiree who periodically called into the staff room to engage in conversation with others who desperately needed to mark books before the bell went for their next class. I enjoy creating visual timetables for the students with autistic spectrum disorders and keeping in touch with what is happening on the ground in the educational world without having to put up with its petty politics. The rest of the week I devote to study and hobbies, using the foreign language skills I taught in the classroom to further my research interests online.

Reirement isn't just about the "from", leaving behind the irritations that come with employment. It's also about the "to". I've known teaching colleagues who survived barely six months on a serene régime of gardening after a lifetime of stress, while others have happily and successfully embarked on pastures new, starting different careers or moving abroad. We lived by a daily routine, "summoned by bells", when we held court in our classrooms and we still need some kind of routine when we enter a well-deserved retirement, particularly when we are individuals with little or no family.

You can certainly take the teacher out of education through retirement, but you can never take education out of the retired teacher, which keeps you doing what you love well past normal retirement age and which keeps the rest of us contributing to this forum designed for educators, working or retired.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    install and tall tales like this.
  3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I took vol redundancy at 58 - the school was destined to close and was in that process + my knees had had it. After 3 months I was back working albeit part time as a Home Tutor for the local authority and love it. If you are primary trained you might find yourself as a highly sought after resource as increasingly there are more primary aged children with mental health etc issues and once CAMHs says they are not fit for school they are entitled to tuition. There are of course also permanently excluded students entitled to tuition but I have mainly worked with mental health pupils.

install likes this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I'm so happy to read this. It's great to hear that there's a long-serving, experienced teacher still enjoying his/her job! So keep at it. Those lucky children-and lucky NQTs, who have an experienced and presumably enthusiastic mentor, instead of having someone who has only been doing the job five minutes and feels stressed, burnt-out and feels they have to jump on every band-wagon.
    I'm NOT for one moment blaming the younger staff-I'm just pointing out what many people on here say; due to experienced staff being forced out, there's no-one to support new staff who haven't had time to gain experience. I just know how much I relied on my mentors, even if they didn't have such titles back then!

5. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Thanks for the replies. Dodros/HelenREMfan great ideas: I am in a shortage subject and I do work with the more challenging kids so there could be an opportunity to stay in the school on a voluntary basis. Certainly food for thought. hhh, lovely to read your response: one of the joys of teaching is the opportunity to keep making young friends

tolkien28 likes this.
  6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Yes, I am well over 65, but I like to keep one foot in the educational work - and so I do a lot for teachers and children as you will know. It was a world I was happy in.

install likes this.
  7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

tall tales, I'm with you. I also know that it's time, but just can't envisage not being at school. Have got as far as enquiring whether I can take my pension and still work part-time (for next academic year) and running this idea by the Head Teacher. It seems possible. Going to look into it more after Christmas.
    I think a phased retirement may be the way forward for me. Small steps.

install likes this.
  8. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

In my town the U3A group members are asking for people to go into the schools to help the children with their reading. I did this and it was the children who encouraged me to write poems for them. It is a two-way thing you see, and for older people it is great. But I remember the children telling me they loved me going into see them 'Because it is like having a Granny come to see us' and a cuddle - and so it is. We weren't paid of course, but enjoyed being with the children and it helped the teachers too.

9. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Snap sunshineneeded, I made similar enquires this week. I got a very positive response so now looking at the posiblties .

sunshineneeded likes this.
  10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

tall tales, we'll compare notes as the year goes on and hopefully both have a four day weekend and a happy work-life balance next year!