1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any other NQT's looking for jobs?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by NQT88, Nov 3, 2011.

1. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

I am having a really hard time with jobs at the moment.
    I don't drive so I can't easily do supply, so I've been volunteering in a school a few days a week and taking driving lessons.
    I finished my last placement (of a 3 year course) late June. The school I was at was awful (on my first day I was informed by the head that he had never awarded a student and outstanding and I was with a satisfactory teacher who had never had a student as it was only her first year teaching not being an NQT. They were also incredibly awkward when I tried visiting other schools so I only managed to view a handful). This meant that I only started applying properly in July and have not had any interviews.
    I have talked to an agency who have said that they have only placed one NQT this year and there are hardly any NQT jobs on the TES or anywhere else.
    I am worried that my last school is not giving me a good reference and when I asked them to see my reference he said he didn't have it anymore. Should I use someone else as a reference? Perhaps the class teacher I am volunteering with?
    Has anyone else had any luck with jobs and is there anything more I could be doing?
    Thank you for reading (if you got this far!)

2. Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time at the moment - I know it can be really disheartening to finish 3 years of hard work and not have a job at the end of it, but I am sure something will turn up.

Volunteering in a school sounds a great way to keep your hand in and hopefully being able to drive will widen the areas in which you could look for jobs. Have you been reading Theo's brilliant advice on how to find jobs and put in good quality applications for them? I'm not 100% sure about the reference thing, I know when I was an NQT we were meant to use our tutor from University and most recent placement school. It might be possible to use the school you are volunteering in but I suppose they won't be able to comment on your abilities as a teacher, whereas your placement school would (and that's what employers use references for).

The job situation is tough at the moment but don't give up - there are opportunities out there! I had a hell-ish final placement on my PGCE which was written off by the University because the support from the school was so poor, so I did another one last autumn as a first-sit. I was really worried about having qualified in the middle of the school term, but managed to get a maternity cover job last January which lasted until July. I then moved back home over the summer and have had a couple of months unemployed again, but have now just got another maternity cover and will be able to finish my induction. I think the key is to be patient and flexible, and keep doing everything you can to maximise your chances - which it sounds like you are. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Well I don't think anyone from my whole year have even got a part-time job teaching. One or two learning mentors or TA positions, on a class of 20. Why not try going for some TA posts, I think it is a really good foot in the door. There seems to be hundreds of general TA support posts whenever I job hunt. I know the pay is not amazing, but at least you are vaguely using your qualifications.