1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any other mature, part time, Primary PGCE students out there?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Caz80, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Hi ahc1,
    I recieved my condiional offer on Monday last week. I am in the same boat as you, planning to study part time but complete the flexible programme within a year.
    I am very excited and just hope it is what I have always dreamed of. Where are you studying?

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I did my PGCE last year via Herts Uni Flexible route, though I chose to do it in 12 months so not part time, the home study aspect made childcare easier!

3. I am hoping to do the PGCE over 2 years at Warwick. Where are you studying?
    It is exciting isn't it?!

4. That is a great option isn't it? I only uncovered the course after I had applied to gttr. Doh! I think it would have suited me, although at the point of application I didn't have enough time in schools.
    I am doing the course part time to fit around child care too. So how was it cally1980?

5. Hi,

I am on the part-time primary pgce at Warwick starting September 2011 also! Had my interview on the 2nd Feb.

Very excited also!

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I did my PGCE part-time at the IoE a few years ago; everyone on my course was a mature student, all but a few of us had children, it was great to meet all sorts of people with different previous careers, everyone was interested, everyone tried hard.
    You could always tell the full-time students, as they were the ones reading magazines in lectures or who hadn't done the reading for a seminar. (Yes, I know not all full-time PGCE students are like this! Just many that I met over those two years.)
    Enjoy it, especially the time to yourself! The full-time course seems so full of work I was really pleased that I managed to have a life at the same time as doing mine.

7. I did my PGCE part time too and am now in my 2nd year of teaching. Most people on my course were 'mature' and parents like myself which was great support as we understood the extra pressures we were under. I worried about my 'maturity' being a disadvantage job hunting but can assure you it wasn't. Every day I find the skills I picked up along my long journey into teaching help me cope with the most demanding but fantastic job there is!

8. thank you for these great positive comments! I am a mum too so it is good to hear others have done the same and enjoyed it.

9. Hi ach1,
    I am studyingat Northumbria starting in Sept, I have chosen the flexi route as I also have 2 children. I am hoping to complete the programme within a year.

10. Hi,
    I will be starting the flexible part time course at Hertfordshire in Sept.
    I have a teenage daughter and I work (albeit in education so should be useful) which I will continue to do, so hard couple of years ahead I think.
    Excited and want to just get on with it now, get a reading list etc.
    Anyone else at Herts?

11. Hi Cally,
    Although I'd like to do it in a year in reality I think I will need to take the full 2 years as I will be working as well although I work in schools on a regular basis.
    Glad to hear it was a good course, where are you working now?
    Is there anything I should be reading up on, evidence gathering, doing now to help later etc.
    Thanks Lisa

12. Hello,
    I have an interview at Warwick for the part time PGCE primary placement on the 21st March! I haven't been able to find anyone else who has applied for this course! I wanted to know if you could give me any advice for the selection day at at all? How was the literacy and maths test (I must admit I am a little worried about the literacy one!) I am also very worried as I have read that once you have done the tests if you fail you dont even make it to the interview :( Any help or advice that you could give me would be really great! Many thanks.

Lisa

13. Hi there! I have sent you a message with some info! Let me know if you need more!

14. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I did a part time PGCE too! It's a good choice for someone with a family - just because the flexibiity is there if you need it. I was planning to finish in 2 years, but ended up only taking 4 terms. It was great to have the extra time in the summer holidays to get all the essays done. I started when my children were in junior school and with the help of some fab friends, it all worked out really well. Best of luck.

15. Thanks for that positive comment Leapyearbaby64! I really cannot wait to get going now! [​IMG]