1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any other linalool allergy sufferers?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by grumbleweed, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I self diagnosed an allergy to Limonene and Linalool about 3 years ago after much trial and error! Unfortunately there is no ONE brand that is free of these unless you're willing to go fragrance free (which I am absolutely not!) so thought I'd share on here some good products I've found through the years.

HAIR:
    - Dead Sea Spa Magik Shampoo and Clay Scalp Mask (Holland and Barrett)
    - Body Shop Banana shampoo
    - Milkshake - their brand is mostly free but their Incredible Milk leave in conditioning milk is well...incredible
    - Phillip Kingsleys Maximiser is a great volume root lift/thickner spray, and the elasticizer hair mask is my ultimate cult product
    - India hair oil - smells divine and we can use it...yippee!!!
    - Evo 'icon welder hot tool shaper' heat protector spray
    - Maui coconut milk shampoo and conditioner
    - Batiste and Got2B brunette dry shampoo
    - Davines salt spray smells divine and is super effective (a little goes a long way) as well as Davines Wake Me Up hair mask.

FACE:
    - Dead Sea Spa Magik- delicate boosting mask is great
    - Kiehls pineapple papaya facial scrub (great natural enzyme peel)
    - plain old rose water makes a great toner
    - any La Roche Posay skin product
    - The Ordinary brand - just products broken down into their simplest chemical components - they have no scent but they are great for mixing with your usual skincare to get the result of something costing 10x the price
    - Clinique take the day off cleansing balm (amazing make up remover especially for eyes) and indeed any thing from Clinique as it is all fragrance free

BODY:
    This is where I struggle as most bubble baths and bath bombs oils etc have allergens in. I stick with simple Johnsons baby bath (well I prefer the asda own as it smells better)
    - Elemis bath milk (just the plain white bottle with blue writing) for a touch of luxury
    - Aveno moisturisers or Doublebase Gel (that I used to get on prescription but now buy over the counter as it's the best moisturiser I've ever used)
    - Original Source Coconut and Shea Butter shower gel
    - Radox Acai Berry and Clay shower gel
    - Dove baby bath and wash

That's most I can think off of the top of my head. Honestly you can go ahead and avoid Lush - I've hunted through their whole store and there are only two things in there we can use and they have now discontinued both (a face mask and a vanilla mosturiser). Hope this helps people out there!!

2. Hi there my 10 year old daughter has been diagnosed with a linalool allergy as she kept getting a bad reaction around her mouth, does anyone know what kind of foods she should avoid? Tia

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

The main problem I find around the mouth is toothpaste and mouthwash. Check what your daughter is using and if it contains linalool.
    Generally there aren't good to be avoided with this one, but there could be other allergies.

4. Coxyloxie

Coxyloxie New commenter

Hi. I too have just found out I am allergic to Linalool and fragrance. There isn’t much information out there so this has been helpful. Just one question. I switched to Olsson shampoo, perfume and fragrance free and endorsed by eczema society. My skin doesn’t seem to like it and it has brought out my eczema. I have looked at the ingredients and it has aloe Vera juice in it. Is that in the Linalool family? I am confused as to whether it is or not. Anyone know?

5. grumbleweed

Hi. I've looked at the ingredients and the olssen contains SLS which is a frequent component of many creams but can cause reactions. It is thought to thin the skin and increase water loss which is often a real problem with eczema. Even though it's in aqueous cream.
    I'm not aware of aloe Vera containing linalool and I can use it fine but we are all different so you could be sensitive to it or one of the other ingredients.

6. Coxyloxie

Coxyloxie New commenter

Thank you this is really useful to know.

7. Coxyloxie

Coxyloxie New commenter

I was intrigued to see if there was a link with white wine and linalool. Trying to cut out linalool which is hard I have had some flare ups and I googled white wine and linalool and sure enough it is in wine along with the sulphites. Anyone else experienced any symptoms?

8. grumbleweed

Wine is known to often bake eczema worse so may not be down to the linalool. I don't drink at all so I can't comment but if you think there's a link, stay off it for a month and see if you notice a difference. Red wine is worse than white apparently.

9. Coxyloxie

Coxyloxie New commenter

Thanks again

10. Gary_Bright

Gary_Bright New commenter

That's quite a huge list, but I can understand because one of my daughters has a similar problem. I asked her about it and she sent me
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], she said there are some useful ones described so maybe you could have a look at it.

11. Cebee

Cebee New commenter

Hi,
    I too suffer from linalool. I found VMV hypoallergenics is a company that makes shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, shave creams etc that have no essential oils and are free of the most common 109 allergens. I am still searching for a good hair styling balm for wavy long hair. I can’t find anything! But wanted to share about VMV with this group as it’s been a life saver for me. You can buy most of their line on Amazon.

Still looking for that hair styling balm...