1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any other linalool allergy sufferers?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by grumbleweed, Dec 29, 2012.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi there.After many many years of suffering with eczema, I have finally tested positive for an allergy to linalool. Which is in just about every cosmetic, cleaning material, etc possible. Im desperately looking for good products that are fragrance free, without any 'natural oils' (apparently espeically lavender, which I adore). I have found a shampoo, but am now looking for soap, liquid soap, handcream, deodorant. ANyone else suffer with such an allergy can recommend anything. Im searching and searching on the internet but many places dont actually give the ingredients at all, so Im having to email them to ask.
    Thanks

2. grumbleweed

Hi there.After many many years of suffering with eczema, I have finally tested positive for an allergy to linalool. Which is in just about every cosmetic, cleaning material, etc possible. Im desperately looking for good products that are fragrance free, without any 'natural oils' (apparently espeically lavender, which I adore). I have found a shampoo, but am now looking for soap, liquid soap, handcream, deodorant. ANyone else suffer with such an allergy can recommend anything. Im searching and searching on the internet but many places dont actually give the ingredients at all, so Im having to email them to ask.
    Thanks

3. Hello

My Dad has just been diagnosed with this allergy too and I've been scouring the net too! There is not a lot out there...
    However, I emailed Method and got the following reply :
    Hello there,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write to us and for your interest in method. Yes, many of our fragrances do contain linalool. The fragrances that DO NOT contain linalool are:

pink grapefruit
    ylang ylang
    lemon mint
    mint
    juicy pear
    sweet water
    pear ginger
    fresh air
    free + clear
    apple orchard
    almond

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call or email me directly anytime.

Warmest regards,

Amazon sell some Method products, as does biggreensmile.com. The other liquid soap that appears good is Dr Bronners 18 in 1. I t's all quite pricey I am afraid.

Let me know if you find anything else that is helpful and I will do the same.

Many thanks

4. suefla

suefla New commenter

Linalool may not be the only toxic chemical in your shampoo or conditioner: ingredients such as methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, and other additives may be doing more harm than good. All of these ingredients are skin irritants and could very well trigger an allergic reaction. Fortunately, there are some possible alternatives: products on the market such as Aubrey Organics and Giovanni Cosmetics are free of these harsh chemicals and use more natural ingredients.
    If you don?t want to go the ?natural? products route, you can research the safety of your current products, and the ingredients in them that can cause irritability. A wonderful site you can do this with is Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Database, a nonprofit organization that rates the safety of over 42,000 products. It not only limited to haircare, you can find information on other skin-irritating products in makeup, skin care, nail care, and baby care.

5. grumbleweed

thanks both for your replies. I am aware that there are otjher toxic things in shampoos, and have always used paraben free shampoo.
    Ive been investigating biggreensile and have ordered some bio D handwash which can be bought in 5L bottle, but I just bought the small one to try. I also ordered greenpeople deodorant and bubble bath and burts bees hand cream. None of thse contain the linalool, perfum, or various other things. SO I shall see.
    I will look into the aubrey organics but sadly just being organic doesnt mean it doesnt contain linalool.

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

According to Wikipedia, it's the oxidation of linalool that causes the problem.It's suggested that only small bottles are used and the lid replaced in between times. Interesting.

7. Oboejane

Oboejane New commenter

Hi Grumbleweed,
    I was in exactly your position a couple of years ago. Allergic to everything including parabens and lanolin also which are found in most products. After a lot of research I found an organic company called Green People (google them) and my skin has never been better! Their main range has linalool in (as the products contain essential oils) but their scent-free range is perfect! Quite pricy but lovely to use.

Good luck- I hope these products work for you. As I say, I was allergic to everything I ever used, but my skin has never been better!

Jane

8. grumbleweed

Giraffe, thats right, its the oxidation that casues the problem. But as the oxidation process is quite quick, and you cant tell when product was made (even with someghwre like Lush, which I love, they tell you the date of manufacture but the not how old the actual ingredients are. Becuazse of thie the advice Ive been given is to try and avoid it all costs and see if it makes any difference.

Oboejane, yes I have just ordered some fragrance free stuff from greenpeople. Ive used their shampoo before but it irriated my skin, but it had lavender in it which I have since found out is one of the worst offenders for linalool (sadly I love the small of lavender and grow lots of it my garden). I never knew I was allergic to this and ive been tested before. The marks that came up on my back and arms are still there, 8 weeks after the testing! Ive never been able to use lanolin, cant wear wool, and cant use things like E45.

9. hello.

I also have just been diagnosed with allergy to linalool, limonene and fragragance. Please advise of any website that sell probucts that do not contain these products . I am finding it very difficult.

I read your last comment about lavender, does that mean even lavender picked from my garden I am allergic to? Also does that mean I am allergic to citric acid as limonene is lemon?

Very confused and need all the help I can get .

It will be much appriciated.

10. CamillaSkinner

CamillaSkinner New commenter

I too have allergies to linalool and limonene among others.
    Theremustbeabetterway.co.uk does a range of linalool / limonene free products including shampoos, conditional, sun screen, washing powders etc.
    Might be worth a try

11. grumbleweed

Thankyou for that link Camilla. I' now a big fan of bio d for cleaning products, laundry,washing up, Polish, soap, it' great stuff!
    Just seeing this thread, it' 5 years old, I didn' realise it was that long ago!

12. naomihall2

naomihall2 New commenter

Hello....old thread, still alive?

I've just been diagnosed with allergy to linalool and fragrance via patch testings. Some things I've learnt:
    "Fragrance free" isn't enough, have to read ingredients and avoid almost every essential oil and many plant extracts as well, including mint, peppermint, spearmint, orange, green tea, black tea, lemon, tea tree, grapefruit peel extract - in fact so many that I started to make a list of safe plant extracts instead.

Safe plant extracts: Pansy (viola tricolor), flax extract, aloe vera, eucalyptus oil, chamomile flower extract (but not chamomile roots).

Also it's in food. Over the last couple of weeks I've discovered that when I eat desserts with orange rind or sweet orange essential oil in them I am straight away afterwards scratching! Flare up within minutes. It's a shame because orange chocolate is delicious (this is only the case with actual essential oil pressed from orange rind, which is about 50% linalool I discovered, it won't happen from fake orange flavouring or essences).

I've changed all my lotions, creams, soaps, washing powder, re-washed all my clothes that touch the skin, take my own hand-soap to the bathroom at work with me etc - really turned life upside down! The hardest thing: toothpaste. It all has mint in it, or other plant extracts. I've just had a small local natural company make me some with no essential oils added. Very kind of them.

The hardest thing to find: hair styling products. Haven't found any yet, I normally like to use a root lifter or volumiser, and hairspray, but fragrance free varieties don't seem to exist?

Ideas? Thinking of making my own! (Sea salt spray maybe?)

13. naomihall2

naomihall2 New commenter

Just a note: this list isn't quite right. What I've researched quite thoroughly and discovered:

lemon mint is about 50% linalool
    grapefruit rind oil had a lot of linalool in it (but grapefruit flesh doesn't)
    any kind of mint can have linalool - some sites say peppermint doesn't, but further research revealed that the name "mentha piperita" (botanical name for peppermint) can include many different cultivars, including the "citrata" strain, which is high in linalool, others are low, but you don't know which strain it is, so mint is out. (I discovered this after becoming very itchy after eating mint chocolates made with pure essential oil of peppermint.) Ylang ylang also has linalool in it.

14. blackpuddy12

blackpuddy12 New commenter

Hi. Ive just been diagnosed with allergy to linalool. I would appreciate any help for any producrs. Ive discovered Lidl own washing powder dosent list linalool so im using that. Im also using Simple brands. Can anybody suggest anything else can help me. Thanks.

15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I use unscented Goats milk soap and find it really soothes my skin.

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I thought that patch testing had been discontinued as it is hopeless at diagnosing allergies. Just because you react in a patch test doesn't mean you'll have a reaction in real life, and vice versa.

So you're probably as well just trying different products (one at a time!) to see if any cause a problem. And a good rule of thumb is just to use as little as possible. For example, the suggested amounts of clothes washing liquid are several times larger than is needed. Wash your body and hair with plain water most of the time. Use vaseline on your hands if it causes you no problems. Don't use anything unnecessary such as any kind of conditioner (clothes or hair), moisturisers (other than for actually dry skin), bleach, deodorant on days you're not at work, and so on. It saves you a fortune too. None of these products are needed.

17. grumbleweed

I use bio d fragrance free soap, laundry etc. I also use soapnuts.
    I use a solid deodorant, and solid soapnut shampoo.

I find toothpaste and mouth wash a nightmare.
    A lot is trial and error for you. Fresh herbs etc are fine, for me, I can have herb tea from my own leaves as the linalool hasn't had time to oxidize. Once I found something I can use, I just stick to it.
    It's tough though.

18. grumbleweed

Oh simple is one of the worst for me, plus I don't thinks it's vegetarian so I don't use that. But if it works then stick with it.

19. rach_h1990

rach_h1990 New commenter

Hello

Is citric acid the same as linalool or limonene should I be avoiding products with Citric acid too ? Any advice on shampoos and conditioners would be greatly appreciated I have been struggling to find suitable ones for over a year . I have found that my hair has been shedding a lot more recently since switching to these more basic ingredient shampoos is anyone else finding that ?

20. smith_leashak

smith_leashak New commenter

I have just been diagnosed with a linalool allergy and like you have all mentioned it’s turned my life upside down. I just wanted to say that all your recommendations have been greatly apprecited and given me some great pointers, thank you