1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Other Duties ?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by semiemma, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Angela3559

Angela3559 New commenter

I work as a Ta in reception I start start work st 6.45 although my contracted hours are 8.15!till 3,15 it's the only way sometime we can get things done, working in reception we are outside most of the day with the children and at lunchtime The Ta's Would have to work half an hour lunchtimes preparing resources or doing intervention group then all of a sudden they got rid of all the dinner ladies and we now have to chose there roles( this has happened though out the school and Ta's not happy as its not on there contracts

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi Angela. This is a very old thread you have posted on! I know that TAs covering lunch times is happening more frequently now. There are reasons for this - many HTs feel that TAs are better qualified and know the children well and will manage the unstructured lunch hour (with all its potential minefields) more successfully than meals supervisors, who only work for an hour a day and have little or no training. Although some TAs are unhappy about this, as long as you are still working your contracted hours and have appropriate breaks, there is not much to be done about it. We do have meals supervisors at our school and a few TAs do both jobs; it suits them to have half an hour for lunch and leave early, as they have to pick up their children from other schools.

However, starting work at 6.45 when your contracted time it 8.15 is something else. Most of us work over our hours, but, if that is an expectation, it's taking it too far. You need a discussion with the class teacher and/or your line manager. I'm surprised your school is open at 6.45 - we can't get in until 7.30. Let us know how you get on.

3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I agree with sunshine.
    I just wouldn't be turning up at that time of morning. Going in at 8am would be acceptable but not that early every day. I think it is unacceptable to ask you to do that.