1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Other Duties ?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by semiemma, Jan 6, 2013.

1. I am a Teaching Assistant in a Primary school and was wondering if anybody else carried out Midday Supervisors duties.
    All the teaching assistants within the school are used for 'other duties' during the lunch hour. Our duties include:
    * Supervising packed lunch children within classrooms
    * Cleaning the tables and benches in the hall where the children eat hot dinners.
    * Supervising the hot dinner children in the hall.
    * Being on the playground for either a hour or half an hour.
    *First Aid
    * When it is wet play, each teaching assistant is responsible for a class.
    I currently am doing 3 jobs during the lunch hour, supervsing in the hall and cleaning the tables and benches, then first aid and then I am out on the Playground.

2. I am a Teaching Assistant in a Primary school and was wondering if anybody else carried out Midday Supervisors duties.
    All the teaching assistants within the school are used for 'other duties' during the lunch hour. Our duties include:
    * Supervising packed lunch children within classrooms
    * Cleaning the tables and benches in the hall where the children eat hot dinners.
    * Supervising the hot dinner children in the hall.
    * Being on the playground for either a hour or half an hour.
    *First Aid
    * When it is wet play, each teaching assistant is responsible for a class.
    I currently am doing 3 jobs during the lunch hour, supervsing in the hall and cleaning the tables and benches, then first aid and then I am out on the Playground.

3. Ladyathedoor

Ladyathedoor New commenter

I am a Year Six TA but I'm also one of three TAs that is a midday supervisor.
    I have playground duty, supervise children who take sandwiches, clean tables, make sure no children are where they shouldn't be at lunch time and help with first aid.
    At wet play I'm there to supervise all of year six.
    I am also in charge on finance for my year group.

I've only been at the school two months and finding lunchtimes hard. It is hard to fit in with the other staff when I only see two others outside class time. The deputy head had brought this up with me and she is thinking of changing things so the three of us are more involved.

4. We get payed no extra to be Midday Supervisors as it is being classed as 'other duties'. There is only one teaching assistant who gets paid extra as she organises where the ta's should be during the lunch hour. We have 18-20 teaching assitants within the school and we all carry out midday duties.

5. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

So do you work all day without a break, semiemma? Because, if you do, it's illegal. I don't see the problem with supervising lunch times coming under 'any other duties'. but I would have a big problem if it wasn't included in my working hours and/or I got no luch break.

6. I get half an hour lunch break at 1pm but this means that the F2 class I work in is then left a member down and there is only the teacher in the class with the children.

7. R13

R13 New commenter

I'm not sure what you are complaining about.
    Have I got it wrong or are you describing a situation where you are paid all day as an assistant (Apart from your lunch break) but on occasions you carry out a job which is usually paid at a lower rate BUT you cntinue to get assistant money?

8. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Eight TAs in our primary school and six lunchtime supervisors. The roles are completely separate. The TAs do share playground duty with teaching staff but this was decided years ago as a voluntary gesture so that teachers only do one day per week on duty rather than two days.(two members of staff on duty each day at play time). We might also supervise wet play in class with the teachers so that we can all grab a drink or go to toilet. I've been in the same school for nineteen years and have never observed TAs being asked to supervise at lunch time.

9. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

A few lunchtime supervisors went on to be TAs at our school and some TAs do 1:1 lunchtime cover. If we are short of cover for these pupils or short of lunchtime supervisors due to illness then the TAs are asked if anyone is willing to step in. We usually cover for 1/2 hour so we can have lunch too and then return to our normal duties. Teachers and TAs cover morning and afternoon breaks and some TAs switch roles to lunchtime supervisors but only TAs 1:1 are out on duty and are paid as TAs and one play leader. I'm not sure of your gripe either.Do you think you should be paid as aTA or that you shouldn't be doing it? Can you refuse?

10. Yes we cover Lunchtimes, on the playground or First Aid. Started off when the Lunchtime staff were short staffed and now is the norm. Things are becoming a litttle fraught though as lunchtime assistants are not replaced when they leave anymore as "the TA's will do it". Tell you we also only get 1/2 hour lunch and we have to work till 5.00pm!!

11. R13 and Snugglepot, I am not complaining, I just wanted to see what went on at other schools during Lunch time. Teaching Assistants within the school never used to carry out any duties during the lunch hour as the mid day supervisors used to do it.

I work in a primary school that has over 500 pupils and only 3 mid day supervisors. When our mid day supervisors leave they are not replaced.

12. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

At our school, all new TAs are also employed as lunchtime supervisors, because the school was finding it so hard to find people that wanted to be lunchtime supervisors. They are paid at a lower rate for lunch times than their TA hours though.

13. Semirmma, are you saying there are only three people on duty at lunchtime?

14. snugglepot

No just three lunchtime supervisors as the rest are TAs.

Yes that is why I gave the information first but I just wasn't sure if you were saying you were being made to do it or quite what you meant. It wasn't clear to me.Sorry. Personally I wouldn't want to do it.I don't mind helping out but I would find it too long a day for me as I have staff meetings, SEN meetings and I run an after school club.I also usually mark until 12.30 or have to set up for 1pm and so I do this at lunchtime. I wouldn't blame you if you were having a whinge!

15. snugglepot

Ha! Ha! May be an enigma Underachiever.

16. I was totally shocked when I started at my new primary school in September. The TA's don't go anywhere near the playground at breaks or lunchtimes. The teachers cover breaks and the dinner ladies (although First aid trained) cover dinner times. I am used to being on the playground at all breaks and dinners with my breaks arranged before or after the breaks and the teachers have lesson plans like handwriting or reading during these 15 mins break and TA's swap over halfway of the dinner to get 30mins each. I have always seen the common sense in this as TA's have much better knowledge of the children and know where they up to in terms of behaviour management and emotional status on a day to day basis. I have never minded this system and actually dislike this form of practice but its a job.

17. I am working currently covering the gate 4 mornings out of 5, taking messages from parents as children come into school. I am then based in Yr 5 in the mornings, and cover first aid at morning break 3 days out of 5. We all have an unpaid break of three quarters of an hour at lunch time but in actual fact we all work through, covering the yard, or supervisong in the canteen, or on first aid - we usually end up with a ten to fifteen minute break if we're lucky as there is usually work to prepare for afternoon class too. In the afternoons I proved sports cover/cover for nursery. However I have to be back in the Yr 2 class for 3pm to administer medication to a child with ADHD, and then stay with them until home time. If there is an after school class I then wait with and supervise those children whilst the class teacher sees his/her class out and returns. Although I am only paid to 3.30pm I rarely leave before 4pm. Often it is much later than this.

18. The routine caspian describes at their new school sounds like the one I experienvced when I first bacame a Classroom Assistant. I too did not do any playground duties and mainly assisted the class teacher in the classroom. Playground supervision was done by supervisory assistants, not kitchen staff.
    Over time, Classroom Assistants, Supervisory Assistants (Special Needs) and Supervisory Assistants (Admin) have been suerceded by a new single name which covers all of us, namely Support for Learning Assistant (with two pay scales; advanced and core).
    This has turned out to mean that I can and do any of the previous three types of duties as and when required. For example, I do playground duties (can be tiresome, and cold in winter, but can also be a very good way to get to know the kids, and absolutely lovely on a summer's day). I organise all school trips, organise the school dinner finances plus other general admin duties when required.
    Although I do a mixture of advanced and core-type duties at the moment, I do 27.5 hours (five and a half per day), four of those daily hours are in class, the other hour and a half doing 'admin', I am paid the advanced rate for the full 27.5 hours. We are very short of core hours, and unfortunately I do not foresee the school getting any extra due to budget constraints.
    Whilst I believe that my time would be better spent wholly in the classroom supporting the maths and language curriculum, I am prepared to do any duties that will help the running of the school. If I decide I don't like it any more, I will leave and do something else.

19. I work in a small infant school and I am on play ground duty for every single play time (I don't go to the dining hall). This means that on three days that I work I am on the play ground 2 morning breaks, 3 afternoon breaks and 3 lunchtimes. I then take my lunch break (obviously unpaid) between one and one thirty. I only get to eat my lunch with one or two other members of staff and I only get the opportunity to interact with other teachers and TAs for the 15 minutest morning break on Monday. This means I am not very involved with the other staff, but hey ho, at least I have a job!

20. In my school all TA's do break, lunch and first aid as well as their extra duties. I am a HLTA for 18 hours a week doing PPA cover for all classes from FS to YR6. I do 12 hours as a TA. I do lunch duty twice a week when I am not teaching all day, and one break duty and 1 first aid duty. My extra duties include ICT support Health and safety COSHH assessor for the school and I teach swimming when needed. This is not unusual and we are paid as TA's for the lunch and breaktimes. Because we are only employed for 30 hours a week max, we are not entitled to a coffee break but the teachers and head normally give us time for this. I make sure when I am teaching that my class TA has a break even if that means going without myself. We all get a lunch break of 30 mins sometime between 11.45 and 1.30.