1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any online tutors?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by marie_uk, Jun 22, 2018.

1. marie_uk

marie_uk New commenter

Hi.
    Does anyone tutor online?
    How do you find it?
    Can anyone recommend sites?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Why would anyone recommend resources to their potential competition?

3. CreativeMaths

CreativeMaths New commenter

There is plenty of students to tutor for everyone! Helping each other is what teachers do best. I don't personally tutor online, preferring face to face, [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

frangipani123 and gainly like this.
  4. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I agree with CreativeMaths. I don't tutor online so can't help here, but I do try to be helpful when I can.

5. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

I've often wondered why business does this (share fundamental content/information/techniques) - you can see it too in the academic sector . I guess it is sharing at some appropriate level, away from some leading edge. Modern life seems to conjure an environment where by even the basics are guarded by gatekeeper concerns (what ever they may be).

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

If I can help someone. I will. Even if they may be "competition "
    I have enough confidence in my own ability. I'm pretty full at the minute anyway so why would I not help someone?

7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

By all means share your operational expertise with everyone who rocks up asking for it. Flood your market with bargain basement chancers who will undercut you and defraud hard-working parents. See how that works out for you in the long run.

8. philiptutor

philiptutor New commenter

9. joyce-b

joyce-b New commenter

Yes, I do here [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

10. har1her1

har1her1 New commenter

Hello,

I tutor online for three companies.

The first is an online tutoring agency:

The advantages are: flexibility (it fits in around my caring role and other commitments) and my students tend to be eager (well they have paid for the tuition) and polite. The disadvantages are: the agency takes quite a hefty fee for finding me students; I have no job security (well, I am classed as self employed) and, although my sessions have all gone well and my students have been great, I feel quite vulnerable. Also, I receive no training for the role; no DBS check is undertaken and I have to arrange payments directly from the students (then pay the agency a fee. Il also have to consider costs such as Skype contracts or similar; phone calls

The second is a large online training company:

Although the work is classed as freelance, it really resembles more traditional employment. The company provides robust training (free); it is obligatory to attend standardisation meetings and there are opportunities to become internal moderators and so on. DBS checks are made prior to being allocated students. It has also been inspected by Ofted and received a 'good' rating. Like all tuition on the freelance sector, workload (and payment) can fluctuate, so there is considerable insecurity. However, whilst I feel the online tutoring agency (above) is very much business focused, I am convinced that the training organisation do practice a duty of care towards their freelance tutors.

The third is an established distance learning provider in the higher education sector where I have contracts of employment (although for modules, so workload fluctuates).

I hope this helps

frangipani123 likes this.
  11. lismara

lismara New commenter

Hi har1her1,

I'm trying to go freelance. I already have some private tutees but I think I need to increase my work to cover the vulnerability side of things. Not to mention tax, months with nothing... national insurance. How did you find your work with online training companies? There are so many sharks out there, I'm worried about who I sign up with.
    Thanks.

12. BG54

BG54 New commenter

That would be a concern for me, I'm registered with a few tuition agencies and all required proof of DBS clearance.

13. har1her1

har1her1 New commenter

Hello,

The online tutoring agency and the training agency both advertised through well-known, online job sites. The interview for the online tutoring agency was by telephone, but the training agency required a longer interview and induction at their central offices.

I teach literacy/English skills with the online tutoring company and I assess health and social care modules for the training organisation.

I should imagine Music may be hard to teach online, but not impossible.

14. langteacher

Why do you need an agency? How much do they charge? What are you paying them for? Can you not just use tutor hunt and the others and advertise on there? Or on social media? I don't do online but I have never paid to advertise and I've never paid an agent and I have enough work to keep me going

15. har1her1

har1her1 New commenter

The agency advertised for tutors and I applied. The agency finds students, offers them access to online resources and offers them online tuition if this is what the student wants. They send me a brief outline of the student's requirements and I arrange the tuition from that point. I am considering branching out on my own once I am sure that this kind of tutoring is something I want to continue doing on a long term basis and Tutor Hunt may be a way forward.

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have heard from one lady who does online tutoring for Chinese students, 22 USD per hour. Is this about par for the course?

17. langteacher

Is it a one off fee to the agent or will you be paying them every week while you do the work and they do nothing?

18. har1her1

har1her1 New commenter

Hello,

I am sorry about the delayed response. I am very happy with the work I do for the training company and the online distance learning provider. However, the online tutoring company is something that I will give up once I gain alternative employment or dare to set up independently. I will list the reasons for my discomfort with the company here because they may be relevant to anyone else considering online tuition.

First, the company takes a hefty commission. For example, a student may be charged £35 a session but the tutoring company takes £15. I will receive £20, but because the student is paying such a hefty fee, I feel like I need to make the session better than outstanding.

Second, the company uses a rating system that filters out any 'bad' reviews. Therefore, potential students may not be receiving honest information about the company. Tutors also write reviews about the company on the rating system, so the reviews are not completely unbiased. (I have not done this).

Third, the company has an inline test so students can undertake a diagnostic assessment. However, the results of the test are not made available unless the student signs up for a £20 package of practice papers.

Fourth, the company claims a 'close to 100%' pass rate. I cannot claim this is untrue, but it is not true for my students which makes me feel that either I am not quite as good as everyone else or the pass rate is exaggerated.

I could go on, but I know people will now be asking why on Earth I am working with a company that I am not happy with. The answer to that is, I desperately need the bit of cash it provides. I feel like I could offer my own tuition service, but I need to make sure that i would give students real value for money and an exceptional service.

19. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I would be suspicious of anyone claiming 100% pass rate. There are only 2 ways to reliably achieve this:

1. Be very selective about the students you take on;

2. Cheat.

If you look at the Education News forum there are examples of a "top" secondary school using the first tactic and a "top" primary school using the second.

Also what do they actually mean by a pass? On the old GCSE any grade from A*-G was technically a pass though most people would probably think a pass meant at least a C grade.