1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any one looking for a better paid job than teaching?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by holdingon, Feb 27, 2011.

1. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

2. holdingon

3. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

I read somewhere that train drivers suffer from a high degree of stress.

4. I wouldn't want to be a train driver. I think it's one of those horrible jobs that are unbearably tedious but still demand high levels of concentration.
    I don't know whether that was intended as serious or tongue-in-cheek, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did suffer from a high degree of stress. Make a mistake and large numbers of people could be killed.
    There are plenty of folk who look at teachers and say that we don't earn our pay - after all, the argument goes, how stressful can it be to work 8.45-3.30 and get 12 weeks paid holiday a year? It's not helpful for those of us in middle-income jobs to look across enviously at each other and make comparisons based on an incomplete, outsiders' knowledge of the stresses and strains associated with other people's jobs. Good luck to the Arriva train drivers, I say, if they've got a union prepared to fight for them. Let's get our unions doing the same. My beef is with the banks and trans-national corporations who pay their chief executives millions every year (no job can be that stressful) and with the politicians they own, who are too scared to do anything other than say there's a deficit, the costs of reducing which must be met by workers in the public sector and users of public services.

5. holdingon

still think train driving looks very attractive compared to teaching at the moment

do you need to be degree qualified?

6. There are times when you just have to fight back.The train drivers are a case in point.They have maintained a determined no nonsense approach to industrial relations,and thus improved their lot,which is why some of us are looking at them enviously.Teachers raised their pay and conditions in the past by being brave,we have to do it again.