1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any one else got back to work 'blues' ?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JO9832, Sep 4, 2011.

1. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Well back to work tomorrow for me. Have been up since 8am having a bit of (well a lot of) a cry. Dont know why im like this i have been teaching since 1998 so should be used to it by now! I love my Nursery class and have a fantastic TA who is a joy to work with. This will be my second year at this school and think i feel so guilty for moving away from my last school which my children go to DH says i did the right thing i would have cracked up but I missed their assemblies , sports day and just walking to school together. I still feel an outsider at this new place and feel physically sick about going back ! On the up side i havent felt frustrated at all last year , enjoyed making decisions and felt I did a good job with the children .
    Please someone kick me up the backside i dont want to spend the day crying x
    Jo

2. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Well back to work tomorrow for me. Have been up since 8am having a bit of (well a lot of) a cry. Dont know why im like this i have been teaching since 1998 so should be used to it by now! I love my Nursery class and have a fantastic TA who is a joy to work with. This will be my second year at this school and think i feel so guilty for moving away from my last school which my children go to DH says i did the right thing i would have cracked up but I missed their assemblies , sports day and just walking to school together. I still feel an outsider at this new place and feel physically sick about going back ! On the up side i havent felt frustrated at all last year , enjoyed making decisions and felt I did a good job with the children .
    Please someone kick me up the backside i dont want to spend the day crying x
    Jo

3. Oh, Jo, don't waste your last day feeling miserable! I always feel that the end of the hols will never really happen but then have a BIG shock when they do! Only 6 or 7 weeks until you can stay home again. I am normally very depressed at the end of Summer but am 5 months pregnant and only back until Christmas. To be honest, the only way I can function at the end of the hols is to pretend I am not going back to work. I am sure your TA will have missed you and that you will love your new class! It must be upsetting to miss out on special days for your children but it is better to have a Mum who isn't going to "crack up" as your DH puts it. Now have a good sob and try to make the most of the rest of the day. Sunday blues are horrible but this certainly is the worst one of the year xx

4. Think positively! You could be working in an office and not be allowed to leave for assemblies etc etc, think half full not half empty!

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I felt like this last year and it did pass. I think part of your problem is because you havent been there long. In nursery we dont have breaktime with other staff and often different lunchtimes, which makes it even harder to get to know everyone. It wasnt until the end of my 2nd yr that I finally learnt everyones first <u>and</u> second names! Give it time and try and go on every social if there are any, if not organise one yourself. As for your children's events, you are entitled to time off. Can you swop PPA to enable you to go. I'm lucky that my school is very family friendly and not just for those with young kids.

6. I don't know if this helps, but I always dread going back, and have a disturbed last night's sleep with nasty dreams featuring walking into school late with no clothes on, etc! Then as soon as I say "hi" to the first school person I see (could be the school caretaker), I feel a great big warm glad to be back feeling. It doesn't last forever, but certainly blows away those Sunday blues. So don't despair, just tolerate those inevitable last minute dreads and don't let them get to you. And I've only been teaching at the school for two terms!

7. Snap! This year I have had 2 bad nights before the big return day and probably another this evening. A lot of my colleagues experience this as well so it's pretty normal to have disturbed sleep and dread etc. As you say..once back in it is good to see people and after 2 or 3 days you get back into being a teacher again! The first week is the hardest and there is always too much to do. Last year I made a long list of things I could do to prepare for this and despite doing most of these (e.g. starting to get up a bit earlier a week before) I am still in a mild state of panic! Wish we had shorter holidays that were more spread out. Good luck with the first day and keep your chin up!