1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any one been to New England in the Fall or to Marai in Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jan 16, 2016.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

That's it really.Whats it like/advice? thanks

2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Yes to New England. I grew up there. Its beautiful in the Fall and the weather is usually pretty balmy. Go if you can, especially to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Never been to Hawaii.

badger_girl likes this.
  3. oldsomeman

cheers.just exploring options fr my special holiday to celebrate my 70th.
    Roughly what week in October might be nest please.

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

All of October and even November are good. We were there for last Thanksgiving and it was great weather the whole time but a lot of the foliage had gone by then.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Is Marai the one with the volcanoes? If so my neighbours went and loved it. One thing to note is they wished they had booked a car, it is bigger than you think. Also there is no guarantee you will see active volcanoes/ lava flows. There are very strict safety rules. A close watch is kept on gases and areas can be closed for safety. I would love to go there. It had beautiful beaches too.

6. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

We went in 2000, with a BA flydrive from
    Boston to Maine,Massachusetts,Vermont and Cape Cod. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. oldsomeman

That#s the one Mary moo.......i was suggesting to wife if we went we might need to book a car.we are not beach folk but we do love exploring
    Thanks Artboyusa..al information is useful.we have downloaded some info from a website there but they tend to be conflicting where and when to see the best leaves and be a 'leaf peep' lol

8. oldsomeman

Thanks Mathnut..i did consider a summer travel through the area but not sure if its as good as doing the falling leaves thing

9. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

It was the last two weeks of October and the colours of the leaves were spectacular.I recall that Boston was wet on arrival and that the weather for the rest of the trip was cool but dry. It did snow the day we left though.Happy Birthday when it comes!

10. oldsomeman

Its crazy. I can fly to Maui in Hawaii for £680 return each at the time I want....but if I want to hire a camper van in the UK for 2 weeks its £ 1204 for the same period and doesnt include food and petrol!Accommodation in the island I can rent for £39 a day!
    If I want to fly to New England return i can do that for £ 720 for both of us to say Boston.Plus a car rental and stay in homestay or motels.Crazy world.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

We were there only this year, from 4th October. We stayed with family who live on Ashford Lake, CT and it was spectacularly beautiful. They did, mind you, get snow only a couple of weeks after we left!

12. oldsomeman

Middlemarch do you reckon you need 1 or 2 weeks to explore the area?

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd go for two weeks. There's a lot to do and see and a lot of travelling if you want to get the best out of it.

We saw an American bald eagle - just sitting in a tree by the river!

14. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

We went Oct half-term some years ago. The foliage was spectacular, the weather very pleasant. On that trip we did a day-walk (from a guidebook) and saw several animals we never usually see, just wandering about (we're easily pleased). We visited the Massachusetts pilgrim bit, the Boston War of Independence bit and Concord, Louisa May Alcott's home. It was very laid back but more expensive than other parts of America we've visited. We visited again in the summer, some years later but went further north and to Rhode Island/Cape Cod beach places.
    We are cheapskates and always go for budget motels where we can. In the West, we have nothing but praise for them. In the South and in New England, most of them are old and tatty. If you just want a place to lay your head, they're passable, but after the first few nights, we cancelled all our other bookings and stayed in hotels instead :) Not without difficulty, either, as Oct half-term is one of their busiest times.
    If you like lobster, New England is your friend :)

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I remember visiting New England and travelling around in the summer of 1998. Ah loved it... and would love to go back.

No experience of Hawaii.

16. ParisianPearl

ParisianPearl Occasional commenter

I agree with what's been said of New England. The reds and golds of the trees are gorgeous and a sight in themselves.

17. oldsomeman

Thanks all for your information...talking of distances how far are we from say Boston the the white mountains.Life has taught me that map distance look small but can be big in reality lol Are there any tolls in the 5 states?

18. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

I'm from NH and have to say I miss Autumn the most. Boston to the white mountains is roughly a 3+ hour drive, depending in where you're headed in the white mountain range. Roads are well maintained though due to tolls you'll pay on the way. Tolls aren't exorbitant though. When I travel from Logan to my parents house in the seacoast region of NH I pay $4 for three tolls.

19. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

There is a series about islands starting with hawaii on BBC4 tonight Olds.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. oldsomeman

Thanks Marymoo.I will have a look
    At the moment it looks as if i cant afford this widely spaced holiday as i have to buy separate fares to get from locations..so we might just end up spending 2/3 weeks in the USA In /around NE.
    There are many routes around but as my wife is not a photographer... i do need to take in towns and interests for her as well. Me? I would use wagon loads of digital cards lol
    I thought of having a few days in say Boston.hiring a car and then touring
    one route might be Charleston Harvard, Salem, Portsmouth York,Portland
    Brunswick, Bath,Freeport
    Then touring:
    Maine woods , white mountain/green Mountains Via jackson across to Kancanagus? Heights Into Vermont to Rutland, Woodstock
    Very rough and ready but i would appreciate your considered opinions as to time /distances and these places.or better.We do like to get out and stroll but wife cant hike so we cant wander off to moutain and wood trails.
    Still cant make my mind up if easier to use hotel/renal or to hire a camper van and just stop iin sites or wild camp.not sure of the regs over there.