1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any novel methods for teaching relatively simple Samba rhythms in workshops?

Discussion in 'Music' started by acpyke, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Hi, I have to help with a workshop teaching some samba rhythms to a bunch of secondary school kids soon.

Does anyone have crazy/original or tried/trusted methods fthey'd like to share?

Thanks in advance!

2. try hitting to syllables?

TEA (1)
    COFFEE (2)
    COCACOLA (4)

TEA, COFFEE, TEA, COFFEE, COCACOLA, COFFEE, COCACOLA, TEA.

A good one I used to use was:

TEA, SOME-TEA, I WANT A CUP OF TEA (over and over again)

whilst half the group were playing:

A-CUP-OF-TEA, A-CUP-OF-TEA, A-CUP-OF ONE,OF-TWO,OF-THREE,OF-FOUR,OF-FIVE, A-CUP-OF-TEA,

Don't know if this helps?

3. Hi
    If you look in the resources section I put on some ideas. It may be under junk orchestra ideas?
    Good luck
    Sheena

4. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Thank you Craig. That is most illuminating, though the question was about Samba.

Drumming the rhythms into them with a spade is probably best.

Lennox.

5. Hi I drum with a samba band and we always start off teaching new people the clave.
    Also get them stepping or marching round the rom to the beat of the surdos. They will not get samba rhythms if they cant grasp the idea of the pulse.
    I posted a simple samba piece in the resource section a couple of years ago which is still knocking about called afro-bloco which might be of some use.
    We vocalise the rhythms as well using rhymes to remember the patterns.

6. Hi there!
    I teach Samba to my year 6's (so a bit younger than your students) and I devised a way of approaching it that seems to work - it's based around a well-known fairy story and the children love it!
    First of all we go through the instruments of our Samba kit and discuss the type of sounds they make then arrange them into four sections ranging from low pitched (surdos) around to the high pitched (tambourims or metal agogos). Then we choose a story (which I've actually I've already chosen!) - Little Red Riding Hood - and assign a section of the band to each character according to the sound it produces - so the surdos become the daddy bear, repenique and caixas mummy bear, metal agogos, baby bear and tambourims Red Riding Hood. This will prob sound v strange so far but bear with me! No pun intended!!
    Then we visualise what would be happening on the first page of the book and decide what each character would be saying at this point in the story and convert it to a short 4 beat rhythm. The surdos will always be keeping the beat so daddy bear's start off with something like 'let's go, let's go'. Once you've built up this rythmic page I then introduce the break - this will indicate that the page is turning to move into the next 'rhythmic page'. Once the page is turned, visualise what would be happening next in the story and assign rhythms based on what each character would be saying next.
    You can build and build on this and because all the children are involved in the process they can move from instrument to instrument - I usually have them in a circle to start and once they're confident we pick up the instruments and move with them. Once I've done about three pages we have fun changing the dynamics and so on.
    It might sound a bit too 'young' for the year 6's but they need words to hang the rhythms on to and they're concentrating so hard they forget they're using a KS 1 text. I also write the words they're playing on the board - useful for them (and me) to work from in the following week.
    Hope this is helpful - it works for me!
    Sooze