1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any nice landlords out there want to give me some advice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by skt107, Feb 3, 2011.

1. I say nice because my landlord is not!! He's given me and my housemate 2 months notice to move out. We've been really good tenants and we get a hand posted letter (while we were in) today, which was back-dated to 1st Feb.
    I've heard that the two calendar months notice has to take place from your next rent installment. Is this right? He wants us out by the end of March but just wondering if I can fight for the end of April?

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Speaking as a landlord, I would normally be happy to work with a Request for an extension, depending on my reasons for giving notice to quit.

It all depends on the reason he wants you to leave

3. Thanks bbibbler. He's given us a notice of possession or something...? He's supposed to be contacting us today to explain things, but says it's something to do with a change in bank lending policies. Although he's said that before when he's tried to con us into signing a joint contract that we didn't want to (it's a house share and at the moment we're all on individual contracts). So I don't believe a word he says! Just want to find out what my rights before I speak to him.
    I'm not actually going to be in the country at the end of March so that makes things pretty tricky!

4. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

That would be correct, many banks have tightened up on lending, I used to have problems getting mortgages on places that were multi occupancy.

If you all have contracts, he? should give each one of you a separate notice to quit.

He would be right in trying to get you all to sign a joint contract, much easier for him to remortgage.

5. Thanks bbibbler - really appreciate your advice. Yes we each have a separate notice. Guess we just need to start looking!

6. I have one more question - would really appreciate it if anyone knows the answer!
    As i have said before, the section 21 was backdated - it says the 1st but was received on the 3rd. He is saying he wants reposession from end of march - therefore this is less than (slightly less than...but still...!) 2 months.
    I have been advised that this makes the section 21 invalid - is this correct?
    I have asked for an extension which has been refused. I have informed him that I am more than happy to move before if at all possible but I wont be in the country when he has asked us to leave!

7. PS - we are genuinely really good tenants! Honest!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

If you are desperate, then contact your council. Some have a policy of getting accommodation for people who have been asked to leave rented accommodation through no fault of their own.
    Yes - it may be temporary but it is a roof over your head. I can understand what you are going through. A so called friend of mine who I was sharing her house with asked me to leave within a month (due to problems with her other friends) - I came very close to being homeless but friends did offer a spare room. I now have my own place - well it's rented but my name is on the lease for at least a year. I hate not having my own house (used to once) - when you have been close to homelessness, you understand how important a place to call home is.

9. How long have you been in your house?
    A 'Section 21 Notice to Quit', is the notice a landlord can give to a tenant to regain possession of a property at the end of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The landlord is able to issue the tenant with a section 21 notice without giving any reason for ending the tenancy agreement.

10. Thanks for the replies., I have been here for nearly 2 years now
    I understand this, I'm just concerned that he's given us less than 2 months which I believe is the required amount of time? Even though the letter is dated from the 1st, we didn't receive it then

11. Thanks Robyn. I didn't realise this! I have had a few offers of rooms so I should be ok - but I have a lot of stuff...!! The joys of being a girl!

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter