1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any news on Edexcel GCSE changes?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Angek, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    I have looked for the posts about this and seen some discussion...any news about what Edexcel might be doing? In my Year 9 options assembly I would like to be confident that I am telling them correct assessment practice...I hope they just say the courses are staying the same, just 2 exams at the end of Year 11 for full course. If they start messing around with exam structure and time I am going to be very cross...and I am already fuming at the ridiculous death of Year 10 exams...poor kids.

Thanks all :) x

2. Hi guys,
    I have looked for the posts about this and seen some discussion...any news about what Edexcel might be doing? In my Year 9 options assembly I would like to be confident that I am telling them correct assessment practice...I hope they just say the courses are staying the same, just 2 exams at the end of Year 11 for full course. If they start messing around with exam structure and time I am going to be very cross...and I am already fuming at the ridiculous death of Year 10 exams...poor kids.

Thanks all :) x

3. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

As far as I'm aware you've got it right.
    Same as now, but they have to sit both exams in the summer of Year 11.
    If anyone knows/hears any different, let us know.
    Steve W

4. fpno@another.com

fpno@another.com New commenter

I thought these curriculum changes are being delayed until 2014 ...?

5. The changes have to be applied by all exam boards starting for those students who sit exams in 2014 - students who will finish their GCSE course in 2014 will have to take the examination in a linear form ie 2 units in 2014. If students usually start in year 9 that will mean present year 9's and if they usually start in year 10 that will mean those starting in Sept 2012 .
    Short course will still exist but from 2014 schools will not report on short courses in their stats.
    No changes to content will be made ( other than the statutory introduction of spag marks)

6. So basically....if i have an year 10 RE option class starting in Sept 2012 then they will take their 2 exams in May/June 2014?

7. What a shame [​IMG]

8. Oh how I agree, love the sexism, racism, asylum seeker bit but church and government action stuff - dull, dull, dull

9. queenjules

queenjules New commenter

Hi all,
    Has anyone found a solution on how to deliver RE to key stage 4 on one hour per week? The short course had been the obvious option but as this will now not contribute to league tables I can't see it being viable in the long run. Is there anything else out there? Shame GCSE Humanities is not in the E Bacc! Asdan COPE with an RE element seems too much of a nightmare and I believe isn't worth too much these days either. What am I missing? Are the exam boards coming up with an alternative that gives us the 90 guided learning hours to get the points but isn't the full course?
    Shame it's all about the league tables. How did that happen???
    Thanks in advance for any support with this. I have a very limited time to come up with a solution!

10. san38

san38 New commenter

Same boat, going to do aqa SPEC b on 1 hour a week starting after Xmas in year 9 & spending last half term revising. I will teach 8 topics which is the minimum but have been told 'full course or no course'. And will anyone take into account that we only get 1 hour a week when they look at our cva? Will they hell!

11. Hi, I am nosey, which units are you doing? and how did you make your choice?

12. SOW on Edexcel website show how to do full course in 3 years starting in year 9 or 2 years starting in year 10.

13. San38 - sorry if I sound dense but does that mean that you'll get your students through a full course in two and a half years on an hour a week?