1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any news from Indepents for possible 1st June return?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Ro13, May 13, 2020.

1. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Just wondered if anyone has had information from their school as to what might happen?

My school are looking into having year 5 & not year 6 back as year 5's will be doing 11+ in September. Not sure if they will be able to do this.

2. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I’m in a prep. There was talk of trying to have Y7 instead of Y6 but they thought there wouldn’t be that flexibility. We’re teaching a full online timetable for live lessons and our on site IT is not able to cope with that without a lot of new hardware so one year group on site with the others all remote learning would be very complicated. We were told this week to expect to be teaching online at home until September in the prep.
    Having said that, if Y6 do return elsewhere I suspect parents will be given the option of having them join our keyworker children. I’m not sure how many parents would want that though.
    Our pre-prep is separate and they were looking into having R and Y1 back. I’d not be surprised if no one returns this term though - not just at our school, in any school.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No idea at the moment. There was a staff meeting today and non-furloughed staff were planning to raise the issue of a return or not. But I don't know what happened.

We'd press for year 5 from an 11+ in September point of view. But the year 5 teacher might not be too thrilled.

4. Ro13

I was, sort of, told by the deputy head to plan more online teaching for after half term and that she wanted me to teach Romeo & Juliet to year 6. So on that basis, I'm thinking I will continue online teaching.

If my school let R & YR1 in I'd imagine they'd bring a couple of teachers out of furlough. The deputy head would deal solely with Year 5, if, they are in. Nothing has been confirmed, most likely will find out next week.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

Given you are teaching English to all year groups, then perhaps do Romeo and Juliet with all of them?
    There are some fantastic children's versions suitable for Reception upwards.

6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Prep here, last update was that those parents wishing to send their year 6 children in would be invited to do so, but that we would continue with our remote learning offer and those coming into school would just be plugged into the remote learning curriculum rather than getting something different.

Our leadership team has changed its mind every 2 days since this began though, so I fully expect that by the time 1st June comes around we will be planning to have all children whose names end in a vowel to be in on Mondays, those with odd numbered shoe sizes on Tuesdays and so on.

Ro13 and Lalad like this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

:D:D:D:D:D

Lalad likes this.
  8. Ro13

My head sent this message today 'Looking at guidelines from the government it doesn't look like we will be back in school after half term. If we did go back it would be for about a quarter of the children at a time in order to keep social distancing so children would be receiving greatly diluted education which the parents would not appreciate. In addition there are many other considerations to take into account.'

This may change though :rolleyes:

9. caterpillartobutterfly

That's the thing isn't it, the 'greatly diluted education' that will come from tiny classes.

Our sport, art and music staff are all furloughed, so there won't be those subjects.
    How could you teach sport (cricket this term) with 4-5 children? Or singing/orchestra with a similar number?

For my part, I think we could manage something better than remote learning for EYFS and Year 1, but some staff from higher up the school would need to join us to teach them. (That could be tricky!)
    Year 6 are better off carrying on as they are. Year 4 and 5 are doing some 11+ lessons remotely, no idea how it is going.
    However the cost of all the anti-bac stuff for little ones might mean it isn't viable.

I imagine parents will get a letter and we'll find out from teachers who are also parents!

Ro13 likes this.
  10. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

Takeaway message is that we don't have to do what government says. Parents in junior school being surveyed, strengths in our online learning seen as a part of education and a growth opportunity for the foreseeable future. Essentially the idea is that things have changed forever. Good to see a forward thinking attitude, those who think 'we have to go back to before' are going to find out they can't.

11. andywhizz1

andywhizz1 New commenter

Our prep school is reopening for some pupils I believe however the senior school where I teach have decided to continue with online streaming of lessons given our mix of day boarders and overseas students. A very sensible decision which means we can focus on good remote teaching rather than trying to balance social distancing in school and boarding houses with online lessons for those who remain at home. Have been immensely impressed with our Y11 and 13 students who have been religiously turning up to lessons and our overseas students including my tutee in China who on some days begins lessons at 4pm and ends at 11.30pm! (I have suggested he gets recordings of the lessons)

12. Ro13

Change one already, now children allowed in will be on a daily rota but have to take laptops etc into school so they can still Zoom!! So only one staff member in class but not teaching as children will still have Zoom lessons.

No doubt will change again :D;)

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

No idea for me (secondary), can't go back until July (NHS letter), we finish end of June :)

14. CabbageWhite20

Does anyone know how the ‘bubble’ model would work if the school is offering extended day, after school activities, rotating staff etc. Is it a recommendation schools can opt not to follow? If they have space and encourage distancing could they, for example, have more than 15 together at breaks/lunch/sport?

install likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

I think schools aren't supposed to offer wrap around care.
    15 children with the same staff through the day.
    Some schools are having two members of staff per bubble to allow for breaks. Some are closing early and having no breaks. Some will be having a second staff member covering breaks only and outside where the risk is reduced.

We still have absolutely no idea, but are planning for a return.

install likes this.
  16. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I think it is limited to 15 becasue if one shows symptoms, or has someone at home showing symptoms, they all have to take 14 days off

Lots of schools will have to have bubbles of less than 15 anyway, becasue of room size. 8-10 is more likely to by typical. But not 15+, in any circumstances.

17. install

install Star commenter

My children’s school are offering no morning or after school clubs. Classes no ever bigger than 10 ( due to room size). At no point will they be mixing with other students.

Same staff kept with same groups.

18. CabbageWhite20

Thanks all. I’ll be interested to see what we do.

19. Ro13

The saga continues in our school ...

One teacher has a parent friend whose child is in year 6 & all parents have received an email giving them a deadline to decide if they want their children back. It also states that classes will be split, school open from 8.45 to 3.30 daily and teachers will have breaks with their group of children!!

Not one teacher has been consulted and also we have no T.A's to work with!!! Toilet breaks etc??? This has changed twice since the head messaged me last Thursday!!

Fun, fun, fun :(:oops:

20. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Crikey ! re: consultation. I don't think I've ever been ' consulted ' in the proper sense of the word. I've been led to believe that my opinion is being listened to but in reality the decision has already been made and I'm being naive in supposing that this really is a consultation. I doubt there'll be a 'consultation' on the return to schools.....