1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any new retirees?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Brianthedog, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

So tomorrow is April Fool's Day. It's also the first official day of my retirement. My lump sum landed in my bank yesterday whilst my first pension payment will arrive on Friday (the day before my birthdate).
    Tomorrow I will be paying off my mortgage and opening a couple of very high interest saving accounts. To be honest, it all feels a bit surreal. I've been number crunching and exploring options for a year now, at the same time as doing a job I'd begun to loathe.
    What will all you new retirees be doing tomorrow?

eljefeb90, smoothnewt and richest1 like this.
  2. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Playing golf, painting a fence, choosing what to eat and drink.

eljefeb90 and lynneseptember like this.
  3. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

Congratz, what high interest accounts are you using please?

Prim, Jamvic and catmother like this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'd like to know too!

Jamvic likes this.
  5. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Most importantly, doing what I choose to do when I want to do it. Not feeling guilty comes high up the list. Not looking at every news story or event and thinking "how can I use that at school?"

ploot71 and bonxie like this.
  6. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

This recommended by Martin Lewis
    https://www.utbank.co.uk/deposits/personal/
    I'm not a risk taker, so am only interested in guaranteed accounts. Choosing a 5 year fixed gives 2.7% interest and a gain of almost £1500 for a deposit of £10k in 5 years. I'm happy to lock away £20 k for that length of time.

Prim and ikon66 like this.
  7. Prim

Prim New commenter

The giddy heights of interest rates :( All we want is 5% :)

ikon66 likes this.
  8. ploot71

ploot71 New commenter

I left a year ago at 60 and picked up some contract training jobs which paid the mortgage off. I'm just organising my bike to ride from the SW of France north (hope the weather and winds to follow) to Brest, then to Paris and train home before schools break for Summer. Got to do this sort of thing before I'm less able to fully enjoy the ride. This last year has got schools mostly out of my system. A few teachers keep in contact and that's fine. Hoping to get a few % here and there on savings is unlikely to help much from a relatively low paid job, what do others think?

eljefeb90 likes this.
  9. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

56 days to go!

10. Reverie1

Reverie1 New commenter

86 for me including weekends and half term.