1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Any mushroom experts out there?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, May 1, 2012.

  1. nick909

    nick909 Star commenter

    Found a cluster of these in our local park...
    I'm convinced they're St George's...they look identical and I don't know many other mushrooms that are out at this time of year...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

     
  2. nick909

    nick909 Star commenter

    Found a cluster of these in our local park...
    I'm convinced they're St George's...they look identical and I don't know many other mushrooms that are out at this time of year...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

     
  3. I think you could be right.
     
  4. nick909

    nick909 Star commenter

    Ta, CQ. I've had a few other opinions online and the online identifer suggests it's definitely is...but I'm not sure I have the nerve to try it.
    Would it be daft to eat a mushroom on the basis of the advice of an online identifier?

     
  5. BelleDuJour

    BelleDuJour Star commenter

    Yes. If he/she is wrong!
     
  6. egyptgirl

    egyptgirl Senior commenter

    If there is any doubt, I wouldn't eat them. The consequences of what could happen if you're wrong...
     
  7. There is an inedible mushroom, which can be confused with the St. George, but that mushrooms bruises red and that is how you can tell them apart.
    I would go on a mushrooming course, if I were you. I used to mushroom a lot, but not alone. I still feel confident about some mushrooms, which I can instantly recognise, but if I were unsure, I wouldn't take the chance.
     
  8. nick909

    nick909 Star commenter

    Ta, all.
    Even though I'm 99% sure it is (not many other mushrooms out at this time of year, all look quite different) I won't risk it.
    An agonizing death is maybe too much of a risk to take just to have a fried mushroom.
    I'm going to look into foraging courses in the area.

     

Share This Page