1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Mums out there starting PGCE in September?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by vanessa7000, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Keep hearing how overwhelming the work load will be... makes me wonder if I'm a bit bonkers doing it now with a 4 year old daughter. Would love to hear from other Mums.

2. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Of course you're bonkers. Being a bit bonkers seems to be one factor of a good teacher!
    My two will be yr 3 and yr 6 in Sept when I start. A friend has just finished her PGCE with one in yr 2 and on in pre-school. Another friend did it with one in yr 2 and one in Reception. They have managed with the full support of their partners.Yes, it's a tough year, but the children are still fed, washed, clothed and in allsorts fo after school clubs.
    We'll manage!

3. Hi there
    I have 3 - who will be 9, 5 and 4 when I start in September. Am most concerned about the eldest who will be starting middle school. I do have lots of support in the form of my hubby who is self employed and who will be taking them to school, and my lovely Mum who will be picking them up every day.
    I am worried about how we will all cope, if I'm honest. I think being organised is the key. I am also taking heart from previous students who have all said how fast the year goes.

4. Hi, I'm mum of two (aged 8&6) and I'm starting PGCE in September. I'm going in with the attitude that the next two years are going to be ridiculously hectic but just keep plodding on....!! Children are booked into every school club going, husband is working flexi hours and have had lots of offers of help from families and friends. Still get wobbles about it though (like when I read on a forum that the highest drop out rate is students with children) but I'd rather know that I gave it a shot then regret never trying. Good luck with your studies x

5. Another mum here too! I have four kids who in September will be 15, 10, 6, and 4. My four year old is about to start school.

6. Beautifully put [​IMG]

7. My mother never got the chance to even go to University, despite being a very intelligent woman, as she was raised on a council estate by an alcoholic mother and her father died when she was young. When she was in her early thirties, she decided to enroll in our local University for a degree in the Humanities. At the time I was about 5 or 6 and my brother was 9 or 10.

During her second year her mother - who had been diagnosed with cancer many years before and was living with us, in spite of her issues - started to require a lot of extra care and my mother found herself unable to cope with juggling two young children, a household full of chores and a dying elderly mother. She was forced to drop out and never got her degree.

I'm now 22 and my brother is 26. We've both well and truly left home and my mother, with all her spare time, frequently attends courses at the local college and even completed 10 credits' of work with the Open University. But she never got her degree. I'm about to begin my PGCE and she's blown away by my academic 'success', as she thinks of it. She clearly regrets that she was never able to achieve these dreams for herself but she would never dream of telling me that her responsibilities as a mother cost her the future she wanted for herself. As a five year old I would cry and moan when she'd spend evenings on end alone at her computer, working on her essays. As a grown woman, it breaks my heart to think of what she's given up.

Please don't put aside your dreams and your future for the sake of your children. Kids are resiliant and while they may cry and you may feel racked with guilt at having to compromise on your time with them for the next few years, one day they'll be grown ups too. They'll leave home to establish their own careers and their own families and they'll be so happy that you've made a career for yourself that you love. If I could go back in time and change things for my mother I would.

8. I have 2, 3 and 6 months, and I'm terrified about the workload and still being able to give them enough attention. My husband is really supportive though, and I'm doing it for a better future for all of us, so hope it all works out ok.

9. Yes, I'm starting a PCGE (post 16) this Sept. It will take me 2 years, one morning a week. My teaching placement is teaching 'Skills for Life' literacy, but I also hope to do a bit of A2/AS Religious Studies. Our kids are aged 12 and 13, and although less needy than when they were young, I am aware that I musn't neglect them! At least they're old enough to be supportive of what I'm doing, and hubbie works from home, which helps. I assumed the work load wouldn't be too much as it's spread over 2 years, but someone who's just finished the exact same course says it's a lot of work. Yikes!

10. Hi Vanessa,
    I've been wondering if i'm a bit bonkers too, after hearing how much hard work people keep telling me it will be! My daughter is 18 months and i've only this week been told that my other half (who's in the military) is being deployed from august until november/december, just when i need him!! Nightmare!
    But like other people have said, i think you just have to remember it's for the benefit of your kids in the long run and being really organised should make things easier :) hopefully!

11. My eldest turned 2 this month and my youngest turned 1 last month. I graduated yesterday after my 3 year degree and start my PGCE in September. I also think I'm completely bonkers but managed to do my degree whilst pregnant and then with two under one I think I can handle anything. I think you just have to rely on good family support, good nursery or school and a great lack of sleep!

12. lucie19

lucie19 New commenter

I've got one starting year 7 and one in year 2 and I'm a single mum! I'm about to start my history PGCE but the way I see it is I am making a future for the three of us. My kids came to my graduation ceremony and whooped and cheered when it was my turn even the Dean commented on it. They are immensely proud of me and it seems to inspire them to great things as well.
    Whilst I know it will be hard leaving them 5 days a week its not different to if I had a full time job and I can work once they are in bed and when they visit their father. We'll get through it :)

13. Hi,
    I have just completed my PGCE with 2 children, one in preschool and the other in yr1, so thought I would just offer some hope. Yes, it was hard, but then the people on my course without children also found it hard. Being organised is hugely important and I think having young children often helps with that aspect anyway (it did for me). I had my husband but we had no support from other family (too far away), occasionally one of the other mums would help me with school drop offs. My eldest was at after school club which he really loved. Towards the end I was very tired and not spending much time with my family at all, but like I say that was true for many of the other trainees who didn't have kids.
    Would I do it again? Absolutely. I put in a lot of hard work this year, but I also had a lot of fun and know that I made the right choice, not just for me, but for my family.
    I tried to take advantage of anything that might make my life easier. When the supermarkets had their school uniform sales I made sure my son had enough clean tops and trousers to last a week without washing every night! Occasionally we got the shopping delivered so that we didn't need to do it at the weekend and could do something fun with the kids. If I could batch cook meals in the holidays then I did (that kind of tailed off towards the end though!). I tried to get as much done at school as possible to reduce the time working at home.
    We didn't have many people drop out of our course and of those that did, none of them were parents. There were quite a few mums (and dads) on my course and we all made it through.
    Good luck!

14. Thank you to everyone who took the time to write on this forum. What a fantastic read it is. I've printed it out and stuck it in my shiny new college file, for a confidence boost at times of need : ) Sorry it's taken so long to respond, but hey you're all Mums, you know what it's like. ; )

Vanessa