1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Mods for 5DR02 who can advise me please?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by corblimeyguvnor, Nov 3, 2011.

1. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Hi -
    Have just read the new FAQ section on the Edexcel web-site and now a little concerned about one task I set students in unit 2 (Blood Brothers).
    The quote from the FAQ is:
    <font face="Verdana" size="2">In Unit 2 my students enjoy devising scenes based around the characters in the play
    text. Does this comply with specification requirements?
    </font>
    <font face="Verdana" size="2">No. All the assessed 6 hours must focus on exploration of the play text itself.

In one worksop session, students looked at the scenes in the Lyons/Johnstone houses. They then brainstorm adjectives to describe the atmosphere in the two households (contrasts). They then create a role play using the characters in each household. These are then cross-cut against each other to highlight the contrasts and to help students understand the different environments in which Mickey/Eddie have been raised so that they then apply this to the text.
    Is this contravening what is written in the FAQs? I did this last year and it was not picked up by our Moderator, but now I'm worried as the students have also reflected on it in the Documentary Evidence!
    Help!
    </font>

2. I would say only as a short starter probably. I used to do something similar in which they created scenes in Mickey and Eddie's schools, which wasn't picked up last year either but I don't think I'll do it again this year.

3. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

It is so confusing. THe editable SOW on the site suggests one activity where the students create a CSI scene after the death of the brothers - that is not the "play text itself". The Teacher Planning and Assessment guide also gives several "off-text" examples.
    Oh well, it's done now! The rest of the workshops are very text-based so we'll see what happens I guess!