1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Maths whizzes...interview session 25 min-any help really appreciated

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 24, 2012.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Details are:
    Block B2 (Spring block) Maths
    Focus on number patterns
    Ability range 1c-3c
    26 children all wearing name labels
    2 observers- HT and DHT
    25 minute session (5/10 mental/oral-15 min input then group task back at tables)
    Any ideas for how I could include all abilities in this broad area while children still make progress
    Many thanks

2. The Red Heron

Details are:
    Block B2 (Spring block) Maths
    Focus on number patterns
    Ability range 1c-3c
    26 children all wearing name labels
    2 observers- HT and DHT
    25 minute session (5/10 mental/oral-15 min input then group task back at tables)
    Any ideas for how I could include all abilities in this broad area while children still make progress
    Many thanks

3. which year group are you teaching?

4. The Red Heron

Sorry, Year 2

5. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I did a code breaking activity, where each table uncracks a word which altogether make a sentence. I had my lowers doing simple patterns with numbers such as 121212 or 123123123 etc. my middles were given the rule for number sequences for the first few, then had to work out, upper had to work out rule with sequences with non constant patterns eg +1 +3 +5 etc, then they had some which involved shapes too, so numbers were in a square, triangle, square etc

6. A couple of things that are great for mental orals in terms of oodles of vocab:
    Ask children to write 3 or 4 numbers on their boards (2 digit perhaps as you dont know who is the higher to be able to ask them to do 3 digits), then throw lots of questions at them. Put your hand up if you have a number greater than 50. A number in the 2 times table. A multiple of 10. A number with 7 tens in it. An odd number. etc etc.
    Or, have a 100 square (Blanked out apart from 1-10) displayed on the interactive whiteboard and do something similar - can somebody come and reveal the multiples of 10, can somebody find 26 and explain how they knew where it is, can someone come and find 10 more, etc. They could have individual 100 squares to do this if available as then they will all be engaged.