1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Maths Teacher in the Western Europe?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by charb74, Aug 27, 2017.

1. charb74

charb74 New commenter

Hi all,

I am looking for advice regarding working conditions in the international schools, particularly in Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany. I am trying to clarify the following:
    1. How much would a maths teacher with 19 years of experience, holding QTS and a masters degree in Curriculum make in any one of these countries? A brief range for net monthly / annual salary would do.
    2. How much would an EAL teacher with 17 years of experience, holding a masters degree in TESOL from a respective English University and a CELTA certificate make in any one of these countries? A brief range for net monthly / annual salary would do.
    3. What would a certain package include as an offer to these two teachers (husband & wife with two kids in KS1 & KS2) from an international school in any one of these countries? (I worked in the ME, I know what they offer, and I don't expect anything like that, but I'd like to know how close it would be).
    Any contributions are welcome. I appreciate if you, as well, number your replies, so that I can figure out which question you are answering. And, as always, you can start from any question you'd like. :)

Thank you in advance for your replies.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

You're asking quite a lot and frankly would do better joining an agency and accessing their data.
    Overall the region you're interested in will pay peanuts, not offer benefits like housing, flights and tuition, and will tax you heavily. Details vary, for example tuition might be available, but it would also be a taxable benefit, so decidedly not free.

charb74 likes this.
  3. charb74

charb74 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. Any suggestions about these agencies?

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Search associates. I wouldnt bother with any others

charb74 likes this.
  5. rod901

rod901 New commenter

who needs an agency to get them a job? Just apply yourself. As for peanuts.....what? So countries outside the EU offer considerably more for a standard classroom teacher? Ithink not. It's just that the tax is a lot less and there is free accommodation.

6. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

There are a variety out there. Some are free and some require you to pay for their service. We aren't supposed to mention names here but I can PM you a few if you're interested.

charb74 likes this.
  7. dumbbells66

I have a friends in Belguim and Germany. In Belguim the starting salary is around €80 000, no package benefits except free places in school for their kids. High tax and no accomodation allowence. Germany, not Berlin, starting salary of around €46 000, no benefits except free child places at school, high taxes (but she can claim them back as shes not an EU citzen), i think she gets help with utilities but nothing else.
    Hope that helps

charb74 likes this.
  8. charb74

charb74 New commenter

9. charb74

charb74 New commenter

dumbbells66 do you think a school in one of those countries will offer a startung salary, ignoring my experience? There was this school in Lisbon that offered me the top of the payscale three years ago. It was similar when I was in the ME. I think / hope (you can call wishfull thinking if you'd like :D) I won't get the lowest salary.
    Schools offering free education for my kids is good. But I wouldn't mind anyway, as my intention is not saving money. Thank you for your reply.

10. dumbbells66

Most of the school i know have a maximum starting point on a pay scale. Just because you have "extra" experience wont matter, because you are probably past the maximum start point. This is just my experience. If a school is willing to negotiate, then its probably a school that you wouldnt want to work at anyway, in my opinion.

Honestly, you are looking at Western Europe.....NO ONE goes there for the money. If thats your motivator, then get out of the Euro Zone. There are some good schools, and a lot of them will actually provide a "package" too.... plus a cheap cost of living.

11. charb74

charb74 New commenter

dumbbells66, thank you for sharing your opinion, I appreciate that. I think you are right; a school willing to negotiate does not sound good to me, either. I just wanted to make sure if what you mentioned as starting salary was for a new teacher or not.

About moving to Western Europe; my intention is definitely NOT the money. I just want to live in a developed country where I would be respected as a human being and my kids getting the best education they can get in an international school + university for free or as less costly as possible. Social security and healthcare is also important, so I am not obsessed with taxes as long as I get quality service for free.

12. dumbbells66

honestly, check out eastern Europe, or at least schools outside of the Euro zone, you will be amazed in the difference at what is on offer. yes the salary on paper may look less, but generally any decent school will provide accommodation, free private medical, annual flights for you and your family etc. its these costs in western Europe that turn a good salary into a terrible deal in comparison to schools that provide them.

check out www.ceesa.org. other schools associations are available.

charb74 and ejclibrarian like this.
  13. rod901

rod901 New commenter

I sincerely doubt the figures you quote. 46000 Euros is certainly ok but 80k starting salary is far fetched IMO. This would be a HEAD teacher's salary. Then you say in a following post that people do NOT go for the money to Europe. I can guarantee if a school in Belgium were offering a starting salary of 80k,there would be floods of teachers trying to go there. International schools are really private schools and profits need to be made. Paying 80k starting salary does not make business sense.

14. dumbbells66

Oh musikteech, you really have no idea do you !!!!! Why would i lie? This is the large IB school in the middle of Brussels, trust me they are not short of money. It is also quoted as a pre tax salary. That money has at least 40% tax taken out it.
    Yet again you are just proving that yoi have no idea about proper international schools. Just for your information they DO have floods of teachers going there. But once they pay tax, accommodation etc that €80 000 doesnt amount to much.

15. rod901

rod901 New commenter

Wrong. Since Aug I am at an intl sch with a package. 34k after tax and free accomm. Time to quit the jibes me thinks. BTW the Net salary on 80k is 38k euros according to the tax calculator. For a starting salary that is sh$t loads of money net. I dont know why you think thats not much money. It may not be much for you but for most intl teachers it is a hefty wad of savable notes. Plus private tuition on top of that 38k would be probably 50 euros per hour in Belgium which will pay for the accommodation. Oh and tell your rich mates to Be carefulvof all those blue windows though

16. dumbbells66

i genuinely wish you all the best. i hope you dont make a mess of this good opportunity.

17. charb74

charb74 New commenter

Well, when I was in Abu Dhabi, my salary was slightly more than yours + housing allowance. So your package is good, I should say. If I can get that + free schooling for my kids, I'd be happiest!.. If you think you can make more in the ME, well, maybe, but not significantly more.

18. charb74

charb74 New commenter

Well, if it goes down to 38k Euros per annum net, then it is good. Together with free accommodation, or at least some housing allowance, it is better. Or, skip the accommodation, I am more than happy not paying a dime for my kids' schooling. So, I think it is as good as one can get in the ME + you will be in a developed country.
    Certainly, it would be wishful thinking that all schools offer such a good package. Yet, Any figure that starts with a 3 is good. :)

19. dumbbells66

It doesnt come with ANY accommodation allowence.....and its a VERY expensive city to live in. Any help for accommodation in Western Europe will be exceptionally rare.

20. karel

karel Occasional commenter

As well as no accommodation allowance in Western Europe you could also end up paying tax on the free tuition. Certainly in Germany and in Belguim I believe, Austria too, the tuition is treated as a taxable benefit which could end up costing maybe 500 euros more per month in tax depending on the salary.