1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any massage veterans on here?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Jul 21, 2011.

1. I use 'veterans' for want of a better word. My brain is sludge after a loooooong day as a single parent (man is working so much he may as well not bother coming home right now)
    For some reason I've convinced myself that if I had regular massages, all my ills would be cured (haha)
    Seriously though, I do think massage is beneficial but I don't know which types are best, I get shoulder/headaches and I want something that will address this. So something deep-muscle-y, if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions?

2. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I go occasionally- I am not keen on the aromatherapy type ones and the head ones as you get oily hair, but do enjoy traditional thai bamboo massage, they really work on your shoulders, neck and back. It can be a little painful at times, but about 24 hrs after, you can really feel the benefit in your muscles. I also have a dodgy shoulder and this works well at preventing it from seizing up. They also like to use a herb bag one (not sure of name in English) which is also helpful, but for me it is all about the bamboo!!!

3. Me neither - wishy washy!
    That sounds ideal - I will google. Thanks! I too have a dodgy shoulder.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

one of those microwaveable wheat bags might help.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

A good standard swedish massage with also help to relieve back and neck pains..it doesnt have to be the full body massage,Normally it can be done with oils, but doesnt have to be smelly sort...i used to use various smelly ones as the oils effect the skin and have different effects on the reciever.
    I used to massage the back and neck areas for my wife a lot and it took a few hours before the real benifit was felt.although a short massage will often relieve tension due to sleeping badly or tension .

6. Family booked me a massage when I was incredibly stressed to treat me and chill me out.
    It was possibly one of the worst experiences of my life!

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

What a shame! I always find a massage or a facial incredibly relaxing and helpful in easing aches and pains.
    Would you give it another go with a different person? Perhaps you could ask a few people for recommendations in your area?

8. I'll just stick to the facials!

9. I would also recommend a bamboo massage.
    Or reflexology, which I love and really relaxes and energises me - and helps my back and shoulder/neck ache, even though it is my feet which are massaged.
    I also detest aromatherapy massages!

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I like aromatherapy massages.....and hot stone massages......and just about any type of massage!
    Luvurley! [​IMG]

11. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I had reflexology for the first time a couple of weeks ago - I'd never met the woman before but she was able to tell me all sorts of things: history of Asthma in the family, past injury to shoulders/neck, recently had a chest infection, recent surgery in the right knee area, she even asked if I wore glasses/contacts. I was amazed. I felt very invigorated afterwards, but later had a droop in energy and needed a nap, which I'm told is normal. Will definitely do again.
    I like an aromatherapy massage. The woman I go to is always quite firm and gets out any knots and tension, whilst using specially blended oils based on our discussion at the beginning of the session.
    I'm also partial to a hot stone massage; I never feel more like even knot has been removed than after a hot stone.

12. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

CK, I have pm'd you with a couple of wee tips. Hope that's alright. Nothing appeared on the screen after I sent the message though, so let me know if you don't get it.

13. bnm

bnm

I have regular massages. Because I go to the same place I have a "made to measure" one which focuses on my back, hands, feet, neck, face and scalp.
    I find it wonderfully relaxing.

14. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

How do you choose a good one?

15. bnm

bnm

Trial and error.....recommendation.

16. I wouldn't say I'm a regular, but I love a facial or a massage as a treat. I had my first hot stone massage recently, it was so lovely. It was during a Centre Parcs spa day. Can't recommend them enough!

17. Thanks for the recommendations!

18. I go for regular sports massages, which do work out the knots, but are far from relaxing and once she gets to the bits which need it, is usually actually quite unpleasant. It has helped sort my back out this year though, in conjunction with the chiropractor.

19. If you have headaches and shoulder pains then I would recommend seeing a sports therapist or physiotherapist. They will assess, treat and recommend techniques for you to self-treat. an initial assessment probably won't be any more expensive than a beauty massage - and it will be much more effective.

20. Maybe I should - I know it's stupid to ask, but I assume you don't have to be a sports person to go to a sports masseur? No no, that is stupid.