1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Maple or Matlab users?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Betamale, Dec 23, 2010.

1. I fancy having a look at these in some depth over the break and wondered if anyone here uses them either for their own benefit or their pupils?
    Any alternative/additional software people enjoy
    Thanks

2. DM

DM New commenter

I use MathCAD quite often because I have a free copy. I use Wolfram Alpha with pupils quite regularly.

3. I've used MATLAB in depth during my engineering degree, I feel it's a bit esoteric for the secondary student cohort, but A Level student should be able to give it a go.

4. I'd be tempted to take a look at new Mathematica 8, as they added in 'free-form linguistic input' which basically means you can ask it what you want in natural english (in exactly the same way as in WolframAlpha) and it will convert it to the correct syntax which I suspect will significantly lower the entry-threshhold for use...
    http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/new-in-8/free-form-linguistic-input/

5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

I used Maple 8 extensively for my masters, but haven't really touched it since. Most of its functions are more of a hindrance than a help to A-Level students, as they don't really aid understanding particularly. If I want to graph things I just use Geogebra.

6. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Like DM I have MathCAD and used to use it a lot. Seeing this thread made me realise my use has declined.
    I do like using resources in class that students can then use at home. WolframAlpha is superb. There are many excellent graph plotters - all available free online. I have links to various calculators for a variety of needs - Statistics or matrices for example. Agree with BillyBobJoe - GeoGebra is so worth using - astonishing for free in fact.

7. Hi Casy
    Thanks for these. I am too building a bank of the tamper proof ones to put online for teachers to use with minimal effort and 'mess ups'
    I dare not press the wolfram links as it will turn out like tetris....seems easy to put down but then...
    Hi mate
    Single user ones for £50 and I have seen them cheaper but cant for the life of me remember. I enjoyed having a play and hope some long lost relative sends some cash for it...along with money for a new pc and so on!
    http://www.goeducation.co.uk/SMART-Notebook-Maths-Tools-User-Licence-p/sfw-pc-sma-nbmt100.htm
    30 day trial
    http://www.smarttech.com/us/Solutions/Education+Solutions/Products+for+education/Software/SMART+Notebook+collaborative+learning+software/SMART+Notebook+Math+Tools+software

8. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Go on Betamale - you know you want to!
    Happy Christmas!

9. I type "Hello"
    The response was "Hello, Human"
    I will not be using the site again, it's obvious you can't trust the accuracy of it's calculations.
    On a more 'serious' note, I love the site. The only thing I prefer on geobegra is the idea you can add and remove lines/curves on topof each other which helps at KS4