1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any magic resources or strategies o improe spelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by talulabell, Jun 23, 2008.

1. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

Any good boooks, schemes etc for poor spellers in Year5. This is to use with my new class

2. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

Any good boooks, schemes etc for poor spellers in Year5. This is to use with my new class

3. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

Mnemonics ----
    People Eat Oranges People Like Eating
    To Get Her
    George's Elderly Old Grandfather Rode A Pig Home
    Rhythm Helps Your Two Hips Move
    Laugh And U Get Happy
    An island is land surrounded by water
    IN NO century is murder an innocent crime
    Dining In A Rough Restaurant - Hurry otherwise Expect Accidents
    Never Eat Crisps Eat Salad Sandwiches And Remain Young
    There are lots but the kids just love making them up for words they cannot spell.

4. Sidneysides has a spelling dvd on look and read thread I think it's good.

:)

5. mermaid

mermaid New commenter

heh queenlit. if you can't remember hot to spell 'the' what are the chances of remembering a mnemonic??

6. Learning spelling has become a really big focus in my class. We do an activity everyday and they're meant to do one every evening (signed off by their parents as there's not always written evidence)
    I heard on one course that you shouldn't give children more than 6 spellings a week, that way they have a better chance of remembering them long term rather than just for the test.
    Here's a link to my spelling page with a list of the activities that we do. (The list is by no means exhaustive so any suggestions that can be added would be greatly appreciated)
    http://opals.wikispaces.com/Spelling+Activities

Hope this helps.

ps. they love getting the computer to generate their own word-searches though I normally save this one for topic words for the whole class.

7. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

thanks for the tips. Is there any good book that goes through sound etc so it is a clear process.

8. shoelace - great ideas on your webpage, thanks for sharing

9. Shoe lace excellent ideas! Cheers!

10. read write inc /ruth miskin have new spelling books, might be worth a look.

11. Spelling rescue pack (i think its called - will double check 2mo!) - a very simple but effective spelling tool and u can get it for each year group.
    Basically it has weekly spellings of all sounds, patterns, compound words etc. But each word is given a certain amount of points based on the difficulty of the word - so when I do the spelling test every week, at the end we tally up our points and present the results on a league table but we also give most improved and top five spellers etc. recognition (all on a display on the wall)

12. Thanks for the nice feedback on my spelling page - means a lot.

13. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Shoelace, I love your spelling page. There's obviously a lot more that I can do with my wikispace.

14. I've been thinking about this a lot recently, as I have the lower lit group. They have very little parental support and as for learning spellings its a joke! I end up having them in detention every week, so I need to find a different way of doing it.

I do a dedicated spelling lesson every Monday and then have a test on the Friday.

When I think back to when I was at school we did a lot of spelling bs, where the children had to stand up and spell words. The humiliation of maybe getting them wrong was the motivation to learn the spellings. We also did a lot of sponsored spells - this doesn't seem to be done in schools anymore. I was thinking of giving it a try...so desparate!!

15. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

soapbox girl I hope you are being tongue in cheek here and not really suggesting public humiliation as a learning tool even if you are despErate!!!
    Look at some of the links on here or try cued spelling as recommended by Greg Brooks in 2003 study of successful interventions for children with literacy difficulties.

16. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

games

change a letter make a word

shannon's game

etc

17. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

No reason why you can't turn Soapboxes idea on its head though. Have children volunteer to stand up and spell words with suitable rewards and make it something really positive. We do something similar for times tables and the children love it.

18. The Pie Corbett book jumpstart literacy? has a good section on spelling. I find that 10 mins every day works better than a once a week spelling test. It's the holy grail isn't it? If you find it...please share :)