1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any low calorie soup or shake recipes to share?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by dodie102, Oct 10, 2018.

1. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

Hello All,

I'm hoping to pick your collective brains. Do any of you have any low calorie soup or shake ideas? I'm trying to do the 5:2 diet and look for recipes under 300 calories a portion in order to stock up for fast days.

I just don't have the time to cook a whole different meal for me as well as prepare the usual family meals so if I could just batch prepare and reach into the freezer/ fridge on fast days I might have some chance!

I have looked online but I have been overwhelmed with some of the added nutritional powders and supplements that people use. Simple is great for me.

Thank you in advance.

Dodie

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I used to make a red lentil and carrot soup for 5:2 days. Ingredients carrots, red lentils, cumin seeds, chilli flakes and stock. It was tasty and filling enough to keep me going.

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Carrots, onions and stock - bring to boil. Then blend with as much fresh coriander as you want. The more the better in my opinion! The soup may turn a beautiful green colour! Cheap and filling, plus freezes well!

pepper5, nizebaby and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

Thank you both. Two great ideas. I have done a curried carrot and parsnip soup in the past too which I'd forgotten about.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

Delia's Tomato Apple & Celery soup (also has onions in it)
    I don't do the 'sweating in butter', I just put it all in a big pan & simmer it with stock/water. Then you blend it and push it through a sieve to get the the skins/stalks/pips out.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think most soups are pretty low calorie, providing they don't contain any dairy and have no or only a tiny amount of fat used to sweat the veg first.

A very simple broccoli soup is just broccoli florets boiled quickly in salted water, until just soft, then blitzed with enough of the water to make a thick soup. Delicious and it's hardly any calories at all. You could probably warrant a piece of bread with that!

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Add kale to the lentil and carrot soup recipe.

9. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Celery leek and potato is good.