1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any legal eagles here who can help with a talk talk broadband issue?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by djphillips1408, Oct 25, 2011.

1. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I have trawler the net to try and find something relevant but to no avail

Anyway the story is this. Wife was sent a contract breakage bill from talk talk of £180 but she never agreed to renew contract with them in first place. After subject access request to get hold of audio file talk talk admit they had no audio file to prove she signed up. Nw whilst they have agreed to drop the issue, I can't help but feel they are taking the *** and basically tried to rob her of the money. So the question is what can we do to get back at them? I am not after a quick buck but just don't want to roll over and play ball. Is there'd for example any mileage in taking them to court for something akin to attempted theft, or maybe something along the lines of damaging her credit rating?

Anyway I know this is a it left field for this forum but would be interesting to see if anyone has ever had any sort of similar experience

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Your only possible claim would be fraud, but as this is a criminal rather than civil offence it would be down to the Crown Prosecution Service to take them to court, not you. As the burden of proof is criminal cases is "beyond reasonable doubt", establishing a definite intent rathet than a simple error would be nigh on impossible.
    A civil case would have to establish genuine loss or hardship and, frankly, the courts probably wouldn't be interested in a retributative case such as this.

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Contacted OfCom yet? That would be a good place to start.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

First, ask for some compensation for the time and stress that went into this. If they refuse, you could write to one of the financial advice columns published in various newspapers. That leaves Talk Talk faces with the choice of bad publicity or paying up. The paper I read has already published several cases of incompetance/greed from the same company; as a result of this, I for one have decided not to touch them with a barge pole.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Perhaps talktalk cut off their broadband and THAT is why no messges of thanks for the replies have been posted

6. I can give you the phone number of the CEO's office for Talk Talk... I find their call centre to be less than helpful. They were rude to me this morning. I moved house and when I got the latest bill (at the new address) they charged me an admin fee for not having a direct debit. I looked and it appears to have been cancelled. I called them and they told me that the bank advised them that it had been cancelled - now I didn't cancel anything. At this point I was explaining the situation and the call centre person kept trying to interupt - so I told her to listen to what I was saying and not be so rude as not let me finish. She then pushed a button or something and a loud high pitched noise came through the phone and she then hung up on me. She wasn't prepared to listen to me and just wanted to interupt while I was talking. I've contacted the CEO's office AGAIN about this, just one more thing in a long line of problems with them... So if you want the number just PM me and I'll give it to you..

7. They are useless.

Have just spent an hour on the phone to them - third phone call in less than two weeks about the same issue. Issue still not resolved - 30 mins left for the promised call back to be made!!!

I am counting down the days until I can tell them to stick it - luckily on a rolling contract with them as I would not sign up to 18 more months of hell!