1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Jewish mammas on here?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Feb 21, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

This is the bible of Jewish cookery - lots of other things as well as chicken soup, naturally.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Jewish-Food-Odyssey-Samarkand/dp/0140466096/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329828139&sr=8-1

In MM's defence (not that he needs it), whilst chicken soup is eaten throughout most of the world, Jewish cuisine is particularly known for it. It's not insulting to comment on it, as long as it's not mean in an insulting manner.
    Likewise, being Welsh, I'm used to the leek comments and sheep jokes (although these usually focus more on another life process, rather than eating!). I'm not bothered at all, as long as no-one gets nasty. It's good to be able to take a joke.
    The English are called "Les Rosbifs" by many French - again, no malice intended usually, in the same way as the French are jokingly accused of eating nothing but frogs's legs and snails and Germans supposedly subsist on sasuages and sauerkraut. No-one need be offended if it's not meant in a hurtful manner.
    Interestingly though - whilst we Brits claim fish and chips as our own, the dish is one that is not our own invention. It was indeed another Jewish one, one that gained popularity in the UK as the Jewish community established itself in the East End.

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

'Jewish Penicillin' is most definitely a cure-all.
    Like many recipes it will have an infinite number of recipes....each family haveing a closely guarded recipe, which changes depending on prosperity.
    I was told that prosperity was paramount in the development of 'proper' chicken soup.
    I was told that it is practically meat free...it comes from a time when the Jews were poor and travelling. When they got a chicken they used every scrap. The meat was eaten...another meal or more came from the offal....chicken feet made another meal....eventually there was only a few scraggy bones and entraisl et.c left...these went into the pot for a chicken broth. a few veggies would be added and also matzo dumplings....and plenty of spice.
    As times became more prosperous, meatier chicken bones would be used so little bits of chicken would flake off into the soup....and some families would add chicken liver...some would add an egg (but not the fanilies I know).
    One girl adds rice to hers..unless gran is coming round...gran insists that adding rice is almost a sin!
    I can see the original soup was easy to digest - very little fat - and was a way of getting some nutrients down which is where it got its reputation as a panacea.
    Our family (not Jewish.......as an aside, my Opa during the war had to produce a family tree to 'prove' there were no Jews in his family....we suspect he lied!) recipe is a clear broth with liver, and spaetzle dumplings...and as a modern addition, pasta shells (the tiny ones).

Oh, and I am both Aspie and part-German....so officially have no sense of humour!..I saw no problem with the OP. Most of the Jewish people I know have the best sense of humour.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Accordin to Dan Barber, an American Jewish chef, foie gras was invented by the Jews because the pharogh demanded they give him their poultry livers. They force fed their poultry to fatten the livers which the pharough never realised could contain an abundance of fat. We discussed before, but if anyone never clicked on the link, it's worth a visit. http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_barber_s_surprising_foie_gras_parable.html
    I gave the guy with the Jewish jokes website this joke about chicken soup and he loved it, featured it on his newsletter, which was surprising, as it isn't that funny if you're outside the culture.
    The story goes like this...
    Moishe is toying with the chicken soup his young wife Leihe cooked him. She asked him what's wrong with it and he tellls her he appreciates the trouble she she took, but it's not the same as his mother made. "Why don't you ask my mother for her recipe?" he asks and she tells him his mother hates her to much to pass on her recipe for chicken soup.
    So he says "But your mother makes great chicken soup as well,. Why not ask her for the recipe...?"
    "I did," she said, "And this is what you're having. I guess my mother hates you just as much as your mother hates me."

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. The punchline doesn't quite sound like a Jewish joke, nor the name Leihe, which sounds more Hawaiian, but full marks for trying and appreciation of Jewish culture.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Absolutely. Chicken soup is seriuosly part of the Jewish cuisine and often had little matzo balls (dumplings) in it.

7. ....or with lokshen (vermicelli)

8. modelmaker

I don't pretend to be an expert on Jewish humour. All I can say is that I've found a lot of it to be very funny in a self-depricating way which appeals to my own sense of humour. Whilst I have reservations over Jewish government policies, I've found the people themselves to be perfectly fine, just as they are anywhere if you get to know them.
    I came across a Jewish joke website many years ago, liked what I saw and asked the guy who wrote it if he would like me to come up with some jokes he could Jewicise, if that's the right word. He published quite a few after he'd modified them. The names were his, and I assumed that as as Jew he would be more accurate about popular Jewish womens' names than I would. I just copied and pasted my joke from his website.
    Having said all this, he loved most of my jokes and we'd correspond regularly before I changed my email account and lost touch.
    A couple of years ago, I entertained a salesman from an Israeli company. I was warned not to tell him any of my Jewish jokes in case they offended, but he was such a nice man and we got on so well I couldn't resist. I don't do offensive jokes anyway, just jokes about life in general. He told me that the jokes that amused me weren't typical of those you'd hear in Israel about the Jewish culture, but they seem to work well among Jews living amongst other cultures, especially those who live in England.
    Make of that what you can.
    Anyway, thanks for allowing me to revisit an old thread of mine, flame. I'd long forgotten it. How on Earth did you discover it?

9. I always like to see if there are any good Jewish jokes around. It's nice that a non-Jew wants to be part of the wonderful world of Jewish humour. By the way, I would say Israeli government, rather than Jewish government, but that's your choice.

10. modelmaker

Point taken and knuckles rapped. You discover as you go through life how sensitive you need to be over words. Wouldn't it be lovely for politics if we never had to discuss our origins at all? You wouldn't be able to make jokes though.
    I wouldn't be able to make any jokes about myself as a cockney oik, would I? Nobody would understand them if we didn't have any appreciation of the regional differences that enrich the world we live in.
    If we had to accept you can't identify people by culture and joke about it, you'd also have to accept you can't acknowledge regional recipes as being unique to a region, and how sad would that be?
    I mean seriously, that's it way it would go if the clowns that rule us aren't kept in check. I'm proud to be cockney oik, just as I expect everyone else wants to retain their identity.
    You want some cockney jokes? I can do it and I can't imagine a single cockney doing more than laugh or ignore them.
    Enough is enough. I've said too much already. Keep me on this topic and I shall be ranting away on Opinion for the rest of the night. Lets enjoy our cultural differences while we can on the cookery forum where we don't need to kill each other about what the food we eat is like.