1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by graicewhite, Sep 21, 2018.

1. graicewhite

graicewhite New commenter

this week has been an interesting one. The class I have are challenge with low level behaviour issues except one child. It seems they haven't had much routine or order in the class last year. So I've been tough and I've stuck to my word making sure I carry out any sanctions if needed. However this Wednesday I had a fight between 4 of the boys in my class over a sticker. As a result I've set out punishments and overal they were better behaved as the week went on. But a parent has called the office asking to speak to me and the keystage lead. Now it seems as though the parents of this class go straight to the key stage lead if there's issues or questions. Which I find very strange. So I had a meeting today with the key stage lead and a parent. And overal I felt inferior to the key stage lead the parents mainly spoke to him and ignored me. To be honest last year I've never had this and the behaviour isn't that serve that I need support I can handle a tricky class. I'm just not sure what to make of this. I feel annoyed and I want the key stage lead to stop and let me handle the parents but how now.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Some people are so (self) important they feel the need to "go to the top" when a minion has impinged on their freedoms or the freedoms of their (perfect, angelic) children. It's a pain. It may be that the teacher last year didn't deal with stuff, it may be that last years teacher was not influenced by the importance of this family and didn't properly punish the "other" children.
    These parents will need training (which may take a while). You need to ensure scrupulous fairness, communicating good as well as bad news about these children, building a working relationship with them as well as ensuring that these parents are aware of the importance of a calm and orderly learning environment (and that means their "darling" sometimes needs to learn to his override his emotional response to his environment / instincts).
    In the short term, you need to have a chat with the KS lead about how dealing with these children, and getting him to delegate the nuts and bolts back down to you.
    Good luck.

graicewhite likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Let the KS lead deal with hassling parents.

Some go to classteachers.
    Some to KS leaders.
    Some to the head.
    Some to the chair of governors.
    It matters not.

graicewhite likes this.