1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas...Reception class applying literacy/numeracy skills in an RE lesson??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by aug79, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Does anyone have any bright ideas?!

I have an observation coming up and the focus is looking to see how skills taught in literacy/numeracy are applied in other subjects. I am timetable to teach an RE based lesson about 'people who help us'. Added to this our wider topic is the Olympics.

Any ideas on combining all three?!

I really struggle as I only work one day a week and teach 'stand alone' lessons - handwriting skills and letters and sounds in the morning, music and RE and PSHCE. So preparing a lesson to show a particular thing sometimes a challenge especially when I don't teach literacy and numeracy in the class and am relying on what skills the other teacher has planned to teach that week.

arrrggghhh

Thanks in advance.

2. Does anyone have any bright ideas?!

I have an observation coming up and the focus is looking to see how skills taught in literacy/numeracy are applied in other subjects. I am timetable to teach an RE based lesson about 'people who help us'. Added to this our wider topic is the Olympics.

Any ideas on combining all three?!

I really struggle as I only work one day a week and teach 'stand alone' lessons - handwriting skills and letters and sounds in the morning, music and RE and PSHCE. So preparing a lesson to show a particular thing sometimes a challenge especially when I don't teach literacy and numeracy in the class and am relying on what skills the other teacher has planned to teach that week.

arrrggghhh

Thanks in advance.

3. People who help us and the Olympics. Hmm. Maybe the role of the Police, ambulance?

If you could act out a scene, the drama should count towards literacy. You could look at photos (in which people are being helped) and come up with captions together to explain what is happening.

Could you count how many people they can see in the scene? Or am I just clutching at straws here?!
    What is your main RE objective? That may help us to focus our suggestions.

4. Hi,
    I have some animated powerpoints I made for 'emergency week'. They are linked to nursery rhymes ie Little muss muffet has lost her sheep. Does she call the fire fighters, ambulance or police? IT really helped the children understand the difference between the emergency services. The options move across the screen, children can vote/choose and then the right answer appears. If you email me evebatten@aol.com I'd be happy to forward them to you. Eve

5. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

Hiya,
    Sorry to intrude on the post but they sound great EveBatten - If I email you would I be able to get a copy?
    Thanks

6. Thanks for your ideas. I have been looking further into my plans for this half term and on the week of my obs we are looking at the good samaritan. I can link the olympic values to the message within the story. As for the literacy/numeracy I've been told that in the lesson we should be practising a skill we have previous learnt in lit/num within the RE lesson. I'm thinking that maybe we will do some story sequencing, reading captions using initial sounds and matching to the pictures?! As a whole class we will do a re-telling of the story.

7. thanks eve. I'm wondering if I could use your powerpoint to round up my lesson. We will have looked at the story of the good samaritan and thought about who helped. We could then maybe use your powerpoint to look at who helps us in other situations. And a literacy link could be to use initial sounds to read the options as that appear.