1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Any ideas? KS2 DT and Ancient Egypt.

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Cassandra, Dec 14, 2006.

1. I want to set a DT challenge for Y5/6 pupils relating to Ancient Egypt covering approx 3 two hour blocks.

I've come up with a few ideas (e.g. moving materials for pyramids, transporting water etc) but was just wondering whether anyone else has devised something that actually worked well in practice, rather than being too ambitious and, therefore, doomed to failure.

I've co-ordinated plenty of other subjects but, although I'm enjoying this new avenue of experience, my brain has degenerated into pre-christmas mush....

2. I want to set a DT challenge for Y5/6 pupils relating to Ancient Egypt covering approx 3 two hour blocks.

I've come up with a few ideas (e.g. moving materials for pyramids, transporting water etc) but was just wondering whether anyone else has devised something that actually worked well in practice, rather than being too ambitious and, therefore, doomed to failure.

I've co-ordinated plenty of other subjects but, although I'm enjoying this new avenue of experience, my brain has degenerated into pre-christmas mush....

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Senior commenter

Bread, the Egyptians were the first to use yeast. You could also make flatbread ir heat a large stone, from the beach? Cook the bread on that. I can send more details, etc. I have some blank papyrus here which you can have and they could make their names in a cartouche or maybe in some other fabric, eg potato prints? Small reed boats using straws or dried grass, Egyptian Jewellery, making a small pendant which could be put on a leather thong.

E-mail me or chat on msn, got loads of stuff here, maybe I can scan some in and send.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Senior commenter

5. Thanks for the links, Lapin. They'll be doing jewellery etc, linking with art, throughout the term. However, I'm trying to link DT / Ancient Egypt / Thinking Skills / Science (e.g. forces etc).

I think I prefer lecturing undergrads!! ;-)

6. Hi Cassandra,
    Did you get any further joy on the Egyptian DT front?

7. Hi there,
    We are also doing 'Ancient Egypt' but then we are only one yr group. We have decided to go down the alarm route, and the children are designing and making games and quizzes that will light up, buzz etc, along the lines of Operation or Buzz Off, but with an Ancient Egypt twist.

Hope this helps, good luck!