1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas for Y10 assembly trying to tackle ATL please?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by CBirdy, Nov 26, 2019.

1. CBirdy

CBirdy New commenter

I'm doing a Y10 assembly this week in my new school to try and improve behaviour and ATL within Science lessons. There is a hardcore minority of students severely disrupting learning in lessons and I'm going to try and encourage the middle-grounders to take a positive approach to their learning and not let the poor behaviour of the few bring them down too. I've found the behaviour management systems in place are not sufficient to deal with this problem so I'm hoping a decent story/strategy to leave them with an impactful message might just engage some of them with a positive way forward. PS It's my first assembly!

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Is an assembly really the way to 'improve behaviour' in Science lessons?

I wouldn't have tried that (despite 30+ years in teaching, incl. a decade in SLT!).

Good luck, anyway!

TCSC47 likes this.
  3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

When I read the title of this thread, I wondered what my trade union, the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, had done to need tackling in a school assembly. :) After Googling, I discovered that "ATL" also stood for "Attitude to Learning". Must be yet another initiative introduced and acronymised since I retired.

As a former MFL and SEN classroom practitioner, I have to share Weald56's scepticism about the appropriateness of a year assembly as a venue to boost better behaviour within a single National Curriculum core subject. Have you discussed the matter within your subject department, with the Head of Year and with your colleagues teaching subjects other than science to Year 10s? Have you read the files of the "ringleaders" to determine whether their negative conduct arises from, say, social, emotional or mental health issues, learning difficulties, or insufficient challenge to their intelligence? If you set in Science and this problem lies in the "bottom group", consider asking for the set to be reserved for genuine low attainers and for any abler students presenting challenging behaviour to be transferred to higher sets more in keeping with their potential. Talk to your school SENCO and find out more about the educational history of your "problem students" and take care to apply any advice contained in reports by educational psychologists and other outside agencies.

TCSC47 likes this.
  4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

One of the points about science is that it is a "practical" subject. The only way you get co-operation from the students is to occupy their time with practical work. Have you got a decent set of resources appropriate for the children? Presumably you can not trust the children to work safely and without destroying resources. The only advice I can give is to allow the children access to the science activities and put into action the discipline measures I hope your school has to deal with probably the few children who are destroying the lessons for the others. You appear to be saying that the discipline measures are not sufficient enough. Then you have another problem altogether.

Sorry to put it back on you. I have been there and know it is a long haul and not easy.
    All the best.

ps. Try posting this on "personal". There is a lot more traffic there and people willing (gagging!) to give their opinions.

Dodros likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

ATL - embedded by this stage ? Behaviour sanctions ‘ hierarchy ‘ not fit for purpose so not helpful. How seriously does anyone take assembly ? ( students / staff ) so unlikely/ naive to think that that this one off will impact on your issues

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I can remember precisely two assemblies which successfully tackled behaviour. Both relied on some ham acting by teachers who were prepared to make themselves look extremely foolish; both had the assembly hall in hysterical laughter. But that's two in 30+ years, and the specific choice of assembly was made very carefully.
    We obviously don't know your setting, but I'd be doubtful of the efficacy of your plan.

7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Did YOU ever draw the short straw!

You won't change anything with an assembly unless you're announcing a new policy like 'one warning and then removal' within the actual lessons. I believe my grandfather managed an effective one but he was a colonel in WW1 and would have given it with a drawn service revolver in his hand.

The only thing I can think of would be to haul out the worst offenders and put them in isolation for the duration, then talk about "how the behaviour of some of you - and I think you can guess who I'm talking about - will not be tolerated" let people draw their own conclusions about probable fates, etc.

Scrooge was not redeemed by an assembly but by three ghosts scaring the living **** out of him. Just saying. You want the rest of this year group to treat these bozos like lepers, fearing that they will be hauled into isolation or whatever by any involvement.

At the risk of being judgemental, it sounds like your SLT need to grow some bigger Christmas baubles and take care of business...