1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas for using working walls with Year 1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kerryel, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I have just moved to Year 1 and have been told by SMT that on their "learning walks" they will be looking to see if we are using working walls effectively (as will Ofsted). I bits and bobs around my classroom that the children can use ie wow words, number lines, sounds for phonics etc. We also have questions up at the beginning of each topic (written by the children) that we try to answer through the topic. However, as their literacy skills are still at an early state, how can I use them effectively? And what does that mean anyway?!

2. I have just moved to Year 1 and have been told by SMT that on their "learning walks" they will be looking to see if we are using working walls effectively (as will Ofsted). I bits and bobs around my classroom that the children can use ie wow words, number lines, sounds for phonics etc. We also have questions up at the beginning of each topic (written by the children) that we try to answer through the topic. However, as their literacy skills are still at an early state, how can I use them effectively? And what does that mean anyway?!

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

We have classrooms so busily working-walled that there's no space for the children's own work.

4. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

With Year 1 I put key vocab on the walls as I use it in the lesson (I have flashcard-sized blank cards at the ready on my board and I write key words as they come up) and then I get a child to bluetak them to the working wall.
    In maths - models/images from that unit, some questions with post-it notes for them to answer (eg this week - "can you partition these numbers? and a list of numbers), prompts for different strategies they could use to work things out. If you have a table/surface near your wall you could also put out equipment that they are aloud to independently access as they need them - number lines , numicon etc)
    In literacy - word banks, lists of connectives in a plastic wallet so they can help themselves when they need them, phonics charts they can help themselves to, success criteria for that unit, images to stimulate vocab and wow words for that unit, examples of good work, handwriting prompts.
    The children have been trained to use the walls and they make good use of them in most lessons. The key is to change them often otherwise they become 'part of the furniture' and stop being noticed!

5. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

"allowed" not "aloud". I'm a bit brain frazzled today!