1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas for tried and tested SEN secondary resources?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by ASpraggon, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I work in an international school in East Africa and we are putting together our order for resources from the UK. We desperately need some new SEN resources, mainly to support students with reading, writing (esp. sentence structure and spelling), basic maths concepts, communication skills and improving self esteem. All of our students on our SEN register are KS3, we have some students on the ASD spectrum, some with MLD, a student with cerebral palsy, a few 'dyslexics' and quite a lot of students who have either missed a lot of school, been educated under loads of different systems, come under the banners of EAL and SEN, get very little or no support at home or a combination of the above. So we need resources which can be used to support a wide range of students.
    We've looked at what appear to be some good resouces (e.g. write online) but most seem to have very hefty subscription costs which would probably swallow up our entire budget for one resource! So if anyone has got ideas or recommendations for resources, especially books and interactive dvds I would be extremely welcome.
    Thanks.

2. I work in an international school in East Africa and we are putting together our order for resources from the UK. We desperately need some new SEN resources, mainly to support students with reading, writing (esp. sentence structure and spelling), basic maths concepts, communication skills and improving self esteem. All of our students on our SEN register are KS3, we have some students on the ASD spectrum, some with MLD, a student with cerebral palsy, a few 'dyslexics' and quite a lot of students who have either missed a lot of school, been educated under loads of different systems, come under the banners of EAL and SEN, get very little or no support at home or a combination of the above. So we need resources which can be used to support a wide range of students.
    We've looked at what appear to be some good resouces (e.g. write online) but most seem to have very hefty subscription costs which would probably swallow up our entire budget for one resource! So if anyone has got ideas or recommendations for resources, especially books and interactive dvds I would be extremely welcome.
    Thanks.

3. I send out a CD of reading & spelling resources that were made to teach dyslexic children but I have used them for any pupil with reading & spelling difficulties. There is information on my website about the resources for primary age children. I have another CD now that has the same resources but I have changed most of the pictures to be more appropriate for older pupils. I can send you a list of the resources + some examples if you email me.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

4. AJI

AJI

There is a company in Australia that produces the Intensive Reading Scheme. http://www.irp.com.au/secondary.htm.

It's analytic phonics rather than synthetic phonics, but is very reasonably priced and the writer, Heather Harvey, permits free photocopying for students. She's one of those rare angels who really cares about learning disabled students and puts their needs above money.
    I use books 2, 3 and 4 of the primary set to improve reading for Years 5 to 7 and books C and D of the high school set to teach vocabulary and reading of curriculum-specific words. [I don't use books A and B and I find book 1 is more sight words.]
    Anyway, well worth a look. Books are about $25 Australian each, so a lay out of $125 for source books. Do speak to her though, she's very helpful and will explain how to use the books.