1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas for the controlled assessment question?

Discussion in 'Geography' started by missie842003, May 29, 2014.

1. This is my first year teaching geography GCSE and I'm struggling to come up with a good task for the controlled assessment. My school is a very small independent in a small village in Devon. The school has very limited finances so we need things on our doorstep. Any help from anyone who is doing this now would be really useful

2. It would really depend on which board you are following and which year you intend to submit the work. There will be a list of task titles from your AB. They will also be able to offer you some guidance as to what would be a suitable investigation. If you speak to them you will often find them very helpful - you are the customer after all. You can also try looking at www.geography-fieldwork.org to point you in certain directions too. You need to get the first bit sorted first though - what AB, what year for submission and what task titles. From there you can work out the actual fieldwork.

3. Depends on your exact locality but below are some suggestions...

Rivers

- How and why does the channel of River X vary downstream?

Coasts

-What are the similarities and differences between the coast at X and Y?

-How successful are the methods used to protect the coastline at X?

Rural areas

-What are the differences between villages X and Y with respect to layout and growth?

- Does village X need a bypass?

- To what extent is Village X a commuter settlement?

For more ideas try the book Tackling Geography Coursework by John Pallister and Ann Bowen

Hope that helps.

4. Some nice potential titles from lrabbetts above, but it is ESSENTIAL that you do a piece of work that links to the task title for the year of submission and specific to the exam board you are taking. Although the titles above are sufficient as 'generic' titles, if they are not appropriate to the task at best you will end up with a letter from your awarding body or at worst a whole series of students with zero marks. I know this seems a bit OTT but as a moderator in the past cycles of CA and as a fieldwork practitioner I know how vital this is. If you want to send a direct email to me you can get my email here via the GA http://www.geography.org.uk/aboutus/committeesspecialinterestgroups/fieldworksig/